Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meryl Streep Defying Ageist Hollywood

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Meryl Streep Defying Ageist Hollywood

Todd's note to Vanity Fair: The Devil Wears Prada is NOT a 2008 film, but a 2006 release.

Hollywood is no place for older women—or is it? In the cover profile of Vanity Fair’s upcoming January 2010 issue, Leslie Bennetts investigates the mystery of how, at age 60, Meryl Streep has become the industry’s “new box-office queen.”

The evidence is indisputable:

• Her 2008 screen musical Mamma Mia!, Bennetts writes,“has grossed $601 million worldwide, despite some cringe-worthy reviews (for the movie, not its much-lauded heroine).”

The Devil Wears Prada, also from 2008, in which Streep played a demanding fashion-magazine editrix, has raked in $324 million around the world.

• And Nora Ephron’s Julie & Julia, released earlier this year, has earned $121 million and counting.

Producers hope for comparable results from It’s Complicated, a Christmas release featuring a love triangle between Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin. All this unexpected success has had the effect of exploding several long-standing myths:

Slide Show: Brigitte Lacombe’s portraits of Meryl Streep

There is no life after 40 for women in Hollywood. Au contraire! “It’s incredible—I’m 60, and I’m playing the romantic lead in romantic comedies!” Streep says to Bennetts. “Bette Davis is rolling over in her grave.” And while Streep’s success is no guarantee that other actresses will fare any better than they traditionally have, it’s a step in the right direction. “She broke the glass ceiling of an older woman being a big star—it has never, never happened before,” says Mike Nichols.

• Talent of Meryl Streep’s caliber should be reserved for dramatic roles. Who says? Sure, she made her name jerking tears in prestige dramas and has accumulated more Oscar and Golden Globe nominations than any other actor, male or female, but she’s always had a lighter side too. (Bennetts unearths a Time-magazine quote from 1989 that reads, “Surprise! Inside the Greer Garson roles Streep usually plays, a vixenish Carole Lombard is screaming to be cut loose.”) And it turns out that the same meticulous approach that made her a great dramatic actress works in comedy as well. Ephron, who directed Streep in Julie & Julia, says, “I would love to take credit for that amazing performance, but the truth is that she had read everything about Julia Child, she played the cooking tapes over and over between setups … and she even suggested that I cast Stanley Tucci as her husband.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...yl-streep.html

I've loved Meryl Streep since The Deer Hunter. She's unique in a town filled with conformists pretending to be nonconformists.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I've loved Meryl Streep since The Deer Hunter. She's unique in a town filled with conformists pretending to be nonconformists.
    There is something so sensuous about her...I dont care how old she is. Another one is Signorgy Weaver. sp? Elegant and sexy.

Good to see you, you old Copperhead. Hope all is well.
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

Meryl Streep is probably the best living actress we have. Years ago I had a friend who was a volunteer driver for The Williamstown Theatre Festival (a pretty big deal in the summer in Western Massachusetts) and she got to drive Meryl back and forth to her hotel prior and after performances. I was nearly green with envy! She also said she was very friendly and they once stopped for hot dogs!

I agree with all the responses. Meryl Streep is right up there with Kate Winslet and Michelle Pfeiffer as modern Hollywood women I love.

Actresses from Old Hollywood that I love are Julie Andrews, Bette Davis, and Lucille Ball (obviously from her television work as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    I agree with all the responses. Meryl Streep is right up there with Kate Winslet and Michelle Pfeiffer as modern Hollywood women I love.

Actresses from Old Hollywood that I love are Julie Andrews, Bette Davis, and Lucille Ball (obviously from her television work as well).

I love Meryl Streep too - she's got to be one of the best - others from the past that I like are Greta Garbo, Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis, and some from Europe like Sophia Loren, Kristen Scott Thomas, Anna Magnani, Isabelle Huppert. Lucille Ball is a big favorite too - the only movie I saw her in was about driving this enormous Winnebago across the States - she is hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by carbar View Post
    I love Meryl Streep too - she's got to be one of the best - others from the past that I like are Greta Garbo, Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis, and some from Europe like Sophia Loren, Kristen Scott Thomas, Anna Magnani, Isabelle Huppert. Lucille Ball is a big favorite too - the only movie I saw her in was about driving this enormous Winnebago across the States - she is hilarious!
    She made that film with her husband Desi Arnaz; it's called The Long, Long Trailer. Two other movie gems of Lucille Ball are Yours, Mine, and Ours (playing opposite Peter Fonda) and Mame (playing lead to Bea Arthur).

I agree the Meryl Streep is wonderful and that picture of her is stunning. But one woman becoming a box office queen at 60 does not mean that Hollywood has changed its stance on ageism. Hopefully there will be more than just the token "older" actress to follow in her footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by shelley View Post
    I agree the Meryl Streep is wonderful and that picture of her is stunning. But one woman becoming a box office queen at 60 does not mean that Hollywood has changed its stance on ageism. Hopefully there will be more than just the token "older" actress to follow in her footsteps.
    Oh, I'm not saying this is a major change, but only that Streep is defying the standard.

I liked her in Bridges of Madison County.