Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it older injuries hurt to eat in morn?

Hunger comes from your brain, not your stomach, so level of injury does not effect this. It can effect how quickly your stomach empties though, so with an injury above mid-thoracic it is easier to feel full sooner.

Lack of appitite for some can be a symptom of depression.

(KLD)

In my case it is not a question of how hungry I feel before eating or how full I feel after - it's just that no matter what I eat or how little I eat first thing in the morning or even at lunchtime I struggle with my breathing a great deal afterwards. The evening meal doesn't cause me the same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by carbar View Post
    In my case it is not a question of how hungry I feel before eating or how full I feel after - it's just that no matter what I eat or how little I eat first thing in the morning or even at lunchtime I struggle with my breathing a great deal afterwards. The evening meal doesn't cause me the same problems.
    Carbar,

Can you check your blood pressure after you eat in the morning? I think there is at least an outside chance that you are experiencing hypotension (low blood pressure). It becomes more symptomatic after eating because more blood is drawn to the digestive tract, and less is available to the rest of your body. It may not be so noticeable later in the day after you have gotten well-hydrated.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

No problems after 24 years either, although breakfast usually consists of just a glass of milk. I did lose my appetite and a lot of weight this summer until diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. It doesn't sound like you're dealing with the same, but I agree you need to look into it.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

This was my problem. Lightheaded and irritated, you naturally want to stop eating to prevent the feeling. My physiatrist suggested more salt early in the morning so I have a nice warm mug of miso before breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Carbar,

Can you check your blood pressure after you eat in the morning? I think there is at least an outside chance that you are experiencing hypotension (low blood pressure). It becomes more symptomatic after eating because more blood is drawn to the digestive tract, and less is available to the rest of your body. It may not be so noticeable later in the day after you have gotten well-hydrated.

We have discussed postparandial hypotension here previously. You might want to do a search to read some previous discussions.

(KLD)

Don.t feel hungry in the morning but make myself eat something around 11am...I try to eat little and often, but my stomach in the evening can go into complete agony. Have changed all my diet which was always healthy to very plain food...don,t know what is going on...but I am nearly afraid to eat as some days are worse than others.

I go through periods every six months where I'm just not hungry at all and I have to force myself to eat. This last time was a couple of months ago and it lasted for about a month. I think I lost 20 pounds in the process but I forced myself to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, even if lunch only consisted of a protein shake. Everything I eat is high-protein, low carbs to try to keep my weight down. I've lost 90 pounds over the past three years and I really needed to. So these days it's to eggs, turkey sausage and a piece of toast for breakfast with the occasional French toast once in awhile instead of eggs. I'm usually starving by the time my caregiver gets here so I have no problem eating breakfast.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Carbar,

I'm pretty sure you are right, that it is a blood pressure thing, but is it necessary to do anything about it as generally I think I am pretty healthy? My current pattern is before I go to bed I drink about 500ml of cranberry & water or water alone and then first thing before getting up I drink another 500ml of water, then once up I have 2 cups of tea over the morning so I think I am well hydrated, if I feel I need some energy I eat some raisins, then at lunchtime have a small bowl of muesli & yoghurt. That's more or less it till the evening meal, apart from a piece of fruit or biscuit. There's no way I could eat the kind of breakfasts some of you are eating - for one thing I'd be as big as a house!

If you have adequate stamina and energy throughout the morning and afternoon, and do not have any medical problems, it probably does not require attention. I would not be able to survie the day without breakfast and some lunch. How much you can eat without gaining weight is related to your activity level. When I was working 12-14 hours a day, I had to consume at least 3500 calories daily to keep from wasting away. I am retired now and have cut down to 2500-2800 calories. When you are resting/sleeping, you are probably burning about 70 calories and hour. When sitting up and reading a book or doing other sedentary things, that increases to about 90 calories per hour. On the other hand, when I am doing things like sweeping leaves and pruning my shrubs, that goes up to 200-250 per hour. Wheelchair basketball, racing, and other vigorous sports can drive the number over 500.

I almost forgot. I usually have a glass of a good American red wine with dinner. Sorryw, I cannot afford drinkable French wine anymore!
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/