Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ROHO Hybrid Elite Cushion

It sits too tall for me. I had to cut it down significantly before I felt better. It is now my backup...and my stimulite has gone back to being my primary.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

ROHO Hybrid Elite Cushion / Jay 3 Cushion with ROHO Air Insert

While these 2 cushions share some common features and design elements, there are several primary differences:

* The ROHO Hybrid Elite has a wider air insert that covers the span of the pelvis inclusive of the trochanters. The Sunrise J3 air insert covers the sacral / ischial area, but does not extend the full width of the cushion. This reflects a difference of philosophy in the approach to seating between ROHO and Sunrise. Both approaches are clinically valid - depends on the needs of each individual user.

* The J3 Cushion has a flatter (less contoured) foam base in the forward section of the cushion. The Hybrid Elite has more defined leg troughs and a more prominent central abductor.

I work for ROHO, but can state with certainty that both cushions are well designed products. I would encourage people to evaluate both, and see which one works best for a specific individual's requirements.

I have had a Roho Hybrid Elite for about 7 months, got it when it first came out. I had to drop my dump an inch but after that I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Borcherding View Post
    I work for ROHO
    Tom, why ROHO doesn't make a similar cushion 2" thick? I like my 2" Quadttro Select but I don't really need the front to be air, a firm front would be fine.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Borcherding View Post
    While these 2 cushions share some common features and design elements, there are several primary differences:

* The ROHO Hybrid Elite has a wider air insert that covers the span of the pelvis inclusive of the trochanters. The Sunrise J3 air insert covers the sacral / ischial area, but does not extend the full width of the cushion. This reflects a difference of philosophy in the approach to seating between ROHO and Sunrise. Both approaches are clinically valid - depends on the needs of each individual user.

* The J3 Cushion has a flatter (less contoured) foam base in the forward section of the cushion. The Hybrid Elite has more defined leg troughs and a more prominent central abductor.

I work for ROHO, but can state with certainty that both cushions are well designed products. I would encourage people to evaluate both, and see which one works best for a specific individual's requirements.
    Personally, I think Roho's approach is a more valid application. Jay's philosophy is that you off load pressure onto the femurs and trochanters as much as possible. This means a smaller well so that the trochanters can bear weight on the foam margins. The foam is relatively hard, and any pressure relieving properties in the margins are provided by the spacer fabric integrated into the cushion the cover. The cells used are 2" standard and 3" for the J3 deep. The problem I'm finding with the veteran's I work with (ie mostly adult males), is the smaller well makes it difficult to optimally fit the cells in the well and the transition from air insert to trochanter shelf is relatively prominent. This is the Jay air insert...

You can see the slits in the neoprene to facilitate the contour leading up to the well. Given that the cushion relies on the cover for padding, placement of the insert must be very precise. Many clinicians love to say that the Roho is a "high maintenance cushion. I generally do not feel that it the case when one has been appropriately prescribed. Due to these issues with the Jay version, I do believe there is a "high maintenance " requirement.

Roho seems to have taken this into account. An air floatation cushion requires significant immersion to work optimally, so Roho uses 3" cells covering a much greater area with more gradual transitions and smaller foam margins along the sides.

To me, the Roho version seems to be a a better combination of neoprene air cells combined with a relatively hard foam material. It also has it's drawbacks. It will raise the STF height considerably compared to some other cushions. It would be difficult to do a 2" version because the foam base would probably be too thin to hold it's shape with the larger well. Perhaps a different type of foam could make it possible. The other issue which I imagine Roho is hearing some feedback about is the relatively prominent abductor "hump" at the front of the cushion which can create difficulties with self-cathing or transfer board placement.

I'm curious which cushion you prescribe the most, 'OTR?

Neither the J3 or Hybrid did well for me. I couldn't cath on either in stock form, too hard at the front. On my demo unit, with reps OK, I dished out the J3 medial thigh hump and fitted one of their field filled gel packs into the dished out section. This put a gel 'bowl' under my taint where the hard foam was pinching my urethra closed.

Unfortunately my trochs got really bad hot spots due to the hard foam around the ischial/sacral dish.

The Hybrid did not have enough contour to it so my trochs and femurs basically floated while all my weight went onto my sit bones

I'm currently using my own design Roho/Varilite hybrid. It's a mid profile Roho isoflo on top of a Varilite CPB (contored positioning base) hard foam base, which I modified by removing the front lateral adductor contours and slightly lowering the thigh separator hump. I also dished out the ischial section a tad to help add some more rear contour as my butt is shaped like a pelvis, nothing but bones and skin...no meat to speak of. Working ok so far.
    Last edited by DaleB; 12-03-2010 at 08:54 AM.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I'm curious which cushion you prescribe the most, 'OTR?.
    Hopefully the right one for the individual!

JGNI,

Thanks for posing a good question. You need a certain amount of thickness for the foam base just to maintain the integrity of the foam and the support that is required of the base in the first place. In addition, the front portion of the cushion needs to have enough height to allow the thighs to be supported - otherwise you would get a forward pitch angle and lose the weight bearing surface that the foam provides for the thighs. So while we can achieve a total height in the 2" range with a LOW PROFILE model cushion, I don't think we can get there in the Hybrid design for the reasons mentioned above. But good nonetheless to understand that seated height and leg clearance are important issues that needs to be considered for future product designs.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your answer and for being involved here, I appreciate. I understand your points if an exact same design was to be made in a 2" cushion, but as you said, it would still be interesting to have a 2" cushion with a firm foam front (just plain flat) and an inflated ROHO back portion. Come on guys, I know you can do it! I will make the testing for you ...

Thanks again.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI View Post
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for your answer and for being involved here, I appreciate. I understand your points if an exact same design was to be made in a 2" cushion, but as you said, it would still be interesting to have a 2" cushion with a firm foam front (just plain flat) and an inflated ROHO back portion. Come on guys, I know you can do it! I will make the testing for you ...

Thanks again.
    I've suggested to Roho before that they consider a cover that can position a 1/4" piece of soft foam over the cells in the front half of the cushion to create a firmer surface for transfers. I have modified a couple of cushions like this for veterans and it has helped keep the transfer board from getting caught between individual cells. A Hybrid Elite cushion cover kind of accomplishes the same thing, but a slightly firmer material than the spacer fabric would be required.