Thread: leg sweating

leg sweating

Me: T8 burst fracture, complete, spinal fusion from T10-T5, 4.5 months since accident.

Recently (within the last two weeks) something weird has started happening. After I have been sleeping for a while and I wake up my legs are covered in sweat. So much so that the first time it started happening I thought I had had a bladder accident. I never feel hot, in fact the opposite. I usually have to sleep with a pretty heavy comforter or I get the chills. Last night I tried sleeping with just the blanket over my chest and left my legs exposed. I woke up and my legs were cold and still covered in sweat. Aside from the nuisance of having to change my sheets every night it is a bit worrisome. Is this common and is there a cause and possibly a solution?

Thanks,
    Tom

Unusual sweating, either excessive or insufficient, below the level of injury, is not unusual and varies based on the degree and extent of damage to autonomic tracts. This may be a temporary change only, but you should mention it to your physiatrist just so he/she is aware of this change.

(KLD)

In the first couple of years of my injury I experienced much the same thing - sweating when cold, particularly my legs and lower back; virtually no sweating when hot or warm but annoyingly frequent sweating when cold. The good news is that it did pass with time and it is now rare that I sweat that badly. While it lasted though it was a real pain - I used to keep a towel over my legs at night so that it absorbed most of the sweat and could then be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by carbar View Post
    In the first couple of years of my injury I experienced much the same thing - sweating when cold, particularly my legs and lower back; virtually no sweating when hot or warm but annoyingly frequent sweating when cold. The good news is that it did pass with time and it is now rare that I sweat that badly. While it lasted though it was a real pain - I used to keep a towel over my legs at night so that it absorbed most of the sweat and could then be removed.
    I sweated big time for a year or more after my injury, in all temperatures. My whole body would sweat to the point I'd be soaked. Then it was only below my injury for awhile, then it went away. I still sweat when it's hot, but mostly above my injury. Everyone is different I suppose, and it takes a while for your injury to settle into its groove, so to speak. Your injury is very new tburst, so it'll take a while for your body to adjust to being paralyzed. Regardless, you seem to be doing well for only 4.5 months post. Best of luck.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

My son is T-12, 1 year post and fused T1210 - L2. He started sweating below his injury during accute rehab and still sweats a lot especially during the night. It's very annoying to him.
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, this site is a great resource.

leg sweat

hey there! I posted the same concern not long ago, about a year or so. Like you, I'm still waiting for an answer as to why. My son's injury is T10 sci, 2 years ago. his legs sweat profusely while he's sleeping, not hot or cold. It has not stopped yet, sheets soaked. I informed Psysiatrists, etc. Apparently, know one knows why this happens, or if there is any danger in it. Still waiting to know what it means, perhaps someone will do a reasearch study on it?
    Well, good luck, and towels help.
    Take care!
    missrhonda