Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Susan Boyle

Susan Boyle

I wonder if you all had ever seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

On Britain's Got Talent, she was the "ugly duckling" - I have to admit, every time I watch that video, I tear up.

Her CD is out now.

All I can say is WOW! What a fantastic voice, so rich and deep, how has she not been discovered before?

I especially like the looks on the judges faces when she starts to sing.

I need to watch it again.

Yeah she never did it for me. That little kid a couple years ago made me cry though. I like this show better than AI... its less produced, more honest.

susan boyle had a dream...she believed in it and it came through for her..The song on her cd wild horses is brilliant.

Susan has a beautiful voice, but some of the songs selected for her debut album are terrible. For example, she sings Madonna's You'll See without the emotion that Madonna has in her version. Susan sings standards very beautifully, but cannot interpret songs with much vulnerability of forlorn love.

I agree, the song choices aren't the best. They seem to pick these slow song, that sometimes drag a bit.

I think she sings the best when she finds a song that lets her voice soar - as it did in her debut performance.

I'm sure it's far too old a song for her to ever do it, but I think of "Desperado" - as sung by Linda Ronstandt. Something like that (yeah I know, newer one though) would showcase her voice imo.

I have downloaded a couple of songs from iTunes and find her amazing. I am glad she is being given a shot at making some money. I am also glad that many of the cruel comments that became daily fodder when she first hit the scene seem to have abated a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I have downloaded a couple of songs from iTunes and find her amazing. I am glad she is being given a shot at making some money. I am also glad that many of the cruel comments that became daily fodder when she first hit the scene seem to have abated a bit.
    Well, she cleaned up her image. I think people, like myself, thought she was odd right before singing. I don't know if it was simply jitters, but she did this strange sexual move right before singing I Dreamed a Dream, and coming from someone who looked so plain and unkempt, it made for an uncomfortable image, I think.

I absolutely love her new look, though. Let's be honest - she was never going to be outrageously beautiful, but I do think she looks much more presentable and distinguished.

I believe I saw she had some sort of learning disability. And she comes from a tiny village. So nervous, yes - but she perhaps is a bit odd. But not intentionally, I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Well, she cleaned up her image. I think people, like myself, thought she was odd right before singing. I don't know if it was simply jitters, but she did this strange sexual move right before singing I Dreamed a Dream, and coming from someone who looked so plain and unkempt, it made for an uncomfortable image, I think.

I absolutely love her new look, though. Let's be honest - she was never going to be outrageously beautiful, but I do think she looks much more presentable and distinguished.
    What you refer to as "plain and unkempt" was I think, in large part what made her performance so magical. The judges and the crowd laughed at her, and judged her instantly on her appearance. They sneered at her looks. And within a few seconds she not only shut everybody up, she struck a cord in people all over the world. And her singing was only part of it.

The video of that performance is apparently the most watched in you tube history. Why are people so drawn to and engaged by Susan Boyle? For me personally, it was so, so refreshing to see somebody just be themselves. Who cares what she looked like--she was there to sing. I didn't care at all what she looked like, I just fell in love with the way she sang. And was intruiged by her story. The awkwardness before she started singing was, I think, a combination of nerves and Susan just being herself. We all have our quirks. And these shows are full of awkward moments, even by so called "beautiful" people loaded down with makeup and hairspray.

Why does Western society put so much value on physical appearance anyway?
    Last edited by orangejello; 11-28-2009 at 06:24 PM.