Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apartment hunting decision matrix

Is south of Boston not an option for your residence. The reason I ask is I live in a condo building, but the top four floors are apartments with no plan of ever changing that. There is covered garage parking, and they do a great job of plowing guest parking and cleaning by the accessible door. Mine is only one of many buildings I know of like this south of Boston, and I am sure they exist on the North Shore too. I am just not familiar with that area much.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    That's funny wheelie about the cupboards. My bottom ones are stacked too ... top ones are empty until I can afford to change it.
    I use one of those grabber clamp down sticks to stock my upper shelves, works real good, still have not dropped one dish or glass yet, it has little rubber grabbers at the end that holds things real tight until you release, kinda fun using that, I challenge myself to see how fast I can stock the upper shelves when I pull the glasses and dishes out of the dishwasher.

I use to work in Chelmsford MA years ago and never had much luck finding accessable housing around there, but that was like 25 years ago so I'm sure things have changed since there. Last summer I was riding around Lowell, infact got lost there and I noticed a whole ton of apartment buildings there. Years ago Lowell was not a very nice town, but it looks like it has improved a lot.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Here are pics of the new place. It was the floors that won me over!

I'm going to get one of those roller sets so I can handcycle in front of the TV!

The double doors don't lead outside there is a rail on the other side, so it's like having a balcony without having a balcony.

Attachment 33118

Attachment 33119

Attachment 33120

Attachment 33121

Wow, that place is gorgeous, and the wide-open floorplan has wheelchair living written all over it. Congratulations!

That is really spacious!
    You will have to get some cozy furniture and things on the walls to warm the place up.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Them Bones, that loft is gorgeous! Is it an old industrial building? Lovely old brick, spacious but functional it looks like. How is the bathroom set up?

(KLD)

It was an old mill. The kitchen isn't great for a chair, but it'll work. I can cook well enough without a roll-under range, and the roll under sink isn't as important because I have a dishwasher.

The bathroom is easy enough, the apartment put in a shower hose for me, and the maintenance guy is going to put in a grab bar when I figure out where exactly I'll need it.

There is an over-under washer and dryer in the unit. I can reach the controls easily, but the lint filter is way out of reach. I'm going to have to rig up a tool to grab it and replace it. I'll take a pic when I figure it out.

Absolutely gorgeous! Sucks about all that cupboard space in the kitchen and microwave though ... still worth it. The windows are absolutely gorgeous and I love the layout ... the only complaint I would have is heating that place.

That was rather quick ... I thought you'd be hunting for months! Good for you!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yeah, i can reach all the microwave buttons, but cleaning it will be tough. And those cabinets will be empty except for the bottom shelves.

I had to find a place this month, the new job starts after the new year! If I didn't move by then I'd have an hour and a half commute each way!

Them Bones - you surely move quickly!