Thread: Toilet vs Shower Chair

Toilet vs Shower Chair

Hi,

Sorry if this gets a little graphic. I am a complete T8, and my injury is 5 months along. Still getting a grip on my bowel program and it is so far this. Every other day insert a suppository laying in bed, give it 15 minutes or so to work, then go to the bathroom get in a shower chair. Nature then takes its course, with some help. I always do some digital stim, both to get it going and to make sure I am done.

So here is my question, how would I do the digital stim on a regular toilet (regular as in a raised toilet with grab rails and not a shower chair). I have seen these toilets in handicapped stalls and I know people use them, just don't know if someone like me can.

Thanks,
    T

You have a couple of options:

1. Do your bowel care on the shower chair if you have one with a butt-hole cut-out. Just use a bucket on the floor to catch the stool and empty into the toilet. Some people even do this in a tub. Cuts down the number of transfers you need to do.

2. Get a raised toilet seat like the Lumex (remove the spray skirt) that will give you access for your hand and any adaptive equipment underneath the seat. Can fit most toilets and can be taken with you for travel.

3. Use a regular toilet of any height, but after transferring leave your wheelchair in place. Lean fully to the side or front, with your chest and arm on the wheelchair seat, leaning far enough that you can also access your anal area and do what needs to be done.

(KLD)

Thanks. I guess I can try option 3. My goal is to travel, and do so with as little extra equipment as possible.

Digital

Number 3 works for me ever since i was hurt, I did install a higher toliet so transfers would be easier. Happy crapping
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger