Thread: urine sample from Foley

urine sample from Foley

What's the best way to get a urine sample from a Foley? With the bladder empty all the time, we can't just take off the bed bag and expect sufficient urine to drain into the sample cup, can we?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

why not? i've sat in doc's office w/foley draining in cup. however, they do prefer a sample from sterile cath change, that's not always possible.

We wrap a paper towel around foley tube and clamp it with a hemostat. I start drinking water before I get there and while waiting so it only takes about 10 minutes to get enough urine for the sample.
    Renee

My ID doc has me clamp it off an hour or so before my appointment, then when I'm there I unclamp and drain into a sample cup. Works fine.

Be sure and clamp it near the end past where the branch is where you inflate it. If you clamp it too hard above that it might pinch the little tube in there and not allow you to deflate the balloon when you go to change it next time.

I usually clamp it or put a little stopper in the end, 10-15 mins is long enough for the small amount you need for a sample.

Also if you used a brand new bag on the day of your appt you could maybe get away with just emptying the bag but you would really want no contamination to throw the results off, like if you had washed it with bleach or something there might be a small amount left.
    Last edited by Cory-M; 11-25-2009 at 08:04 PM.

I had my aide lift the knees of my bed for 15 minutes, then take a sample. Worked fine.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Many times there is enough urine in the bladder, just have someone disconnect the cath from leg/bed bag and gently push on your bladder while taking a few deep breaths. It doesn't take much for a sample.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!