Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: I don't think there is anything that could make me happier than being cured...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkPals View Post
    I didn't mean to make you feel bad, Quad 76. We all can have our dreams tho, right?All is good.

Oh, you didn't. A good (higher) friend on here is always telling me not to feel bad, we all hurt no matter the injury. No injury is good, it's unjust that any exists, but ALS?

They say the best things in life are free.

They were right it seems.

Do others now have much less sympathy with AB's who have problems?

You see something on the regional news and someone is crying because their house is going to be repossessed? Or some woman is depressed and has turned to food and is now over-weight?

In the past I would have been touched by the sad story, but not so much now???

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post

You see something on the regional news and someone is crying because their house is going to be repossessed? Or some woman is depressed and has turned to food and is now over-weight?

I feel that way for people who have physical problems, but not necessarily ones like losing a house or job, or being assaulted or something.

It's hard to feel sorry for someone who is overweight, tore an ACL, broke a leg, etc. It's like uhm, I'd give anything for that to be my biggest problem right now.

But as for the other stuff, yeah, everyone has their own shit they're going through, and a lot of it really sucks, and I can feel sympathy for that stuff sure.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

I'll take the cash , they are never going to fix this nightmare anyways. Might as well have some fun.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post

Not at all for me. In fact, if anything, my injury has made me accutely aware of how easy and fortunate my station in life was before my injury and how I never really gave serious consideration about how difficult or painful life can be for others, even if the issues they are dealing with are very different from my own. It's very unfortunate that it took a severely disabling injury to change my view of the world. But I think if I had to name one positive to come out of what happened to me, this is it.

I don't think having a spinal cord injury or a physical disability gives a person a monopoly on misery or suffering or struggling with life. And to be honest, the lack of compassion sometimes shown towards others on these forums (overweight, mentally ill, poor, etc) truly astonishes me.

I look at it this way: how can I expect understanding and compassion from others about the difficulties I face if I don't make an effort to understand theirs?

I am sure I will get bashed for what I just wrote. But whatever.

Without a doubt to be able again.

OJ I agree to the most part, until I meet someone stupid like I did today.

But I won't get into that. I think I'd be torn. Be cured and run on the trails with my kids again or take the money and let them be able to see the world.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    OJ I agree to the most part, until I meet someone stupid like I did today.
    Oh for sure, there are people in my life who I have to just tune out sometimes because they complain non-stop about stuff that isn't, in my mind, worth complaining about or listening to. But I don't think that has changed since my injury. I would have tuned them out before too. Or gotten enraged by their whining and freaked out at them lol.

I think I have learned to tune out more and freak out far less since my injury though. It's just not worth wasting my energy to get annoyed with or argue with people that what they consider an end of the world problem isn't really that bad. Pointing it out rarely changes someone's perspective anyway. At least in my experience

Good stuff OJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    Not at all for me. In fact, if anything, my injury has made me accutely aware of how easy and fortunate my station in life was before my injury and how I never really gave serious consideration about how difficult or painful life can be for others, even if the issues they are dealing with are very different from my own. It's very unfortunate that it took a severely disabling injury to change my view of the world. But I think if I had to name one positive to come out of what happened to me, this is it.

I don't think having a spinal cord injury or a physical disability gives a person a monopoly on misery or suffering or struggling with life. And to be honest, the lack of compassion sometimes shown towards others on these forums (overweight, mentally ill, poor, etc) truly astonishes me.

I look at it this way: how can I expect understanding and compassion from others about the difficulties I face if I don't make an effort to understand theirs?

I am sure I will get bashed for what I just wrote. But whatever.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!