Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condom Cath vs. Suprapubic?

Condom Cath vs. Suprapubic?

I wish I had found this site years ago. I would have had so many questions. And hosted by my alma mater to boot! Go figure.

Anyways, I have a question: after using a condom cath for many years, my doc suggested to me that maybe I should get a suprapubic. From what I understand self cath would be the best ideal, but it's way to uncomfortable for me, and I was never able to steel myself to do it. The nice thing with the supra as far as I can tell is that sex can be more of an option (not that it wasn't with the condom. I just have to take extra precautions to make sure I don't leak), and possibly fewer UTIs? Oh, and of course now I can be swinging in the breeze so to speak.

So, my question is, do you think it's a good idea? Thinking about it more, it seems more like a step sideways instead of a step forward. I'm tired of wearing condoms and leg bags (though I realize I'll still have to wear them)

Quote Originally Posted by Moko View Post
    I wish I had found this site years ago. I would have had so many questions. And hosted by my alma mater to boot! Go figure.

Anyways, I have a question: after using a condom cath for many years, my doc suggested to me that maybe I should get a suprapubic. From what I understand self cath would be the best ideal, but it's way to uncomfortable for me, and I was never able to steel myself to do it. The nice thing with the supra as far as I can tell is that sex can be more of an option (not that it wasn't with the condom. I just have to take extra precautions to make sure I don't leak), and possibly fewer UTIs? Oh, and of course now I can be swinging in the breeze so to speak.

So, my question is, do you think it's a good idea? Thinking about it more, it seems more like a step sideways instead of a step forward. I'm tired of wearing condoms and leg bags (though I realize I'll still have to wear them)
    That was the conclusion I reached after being told twenty years ago that I should drop the condom cath. for the good of my urinary tract, however I'm still here and still peeing through a contraceptive device!

If you do a forum search on the supra-pubic you'll find it's not the easy option the urologists would have you believe by their sales pitch.

I have a SP catheter and am more than glad I had the procedure done.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

You can always try it and if you don't like it go back to the way you are. I take it you haven't had a sphincterotomy, I have so I really don't have a choice but to wear a condom and leg bag. I am used to this and I personally wouldn't want a foreign body in my bladder all the time. There are many pros for a SP, so it's up to the individual and you have nothing to lose particularly if you are suffering from recurrent bladder infections.

I've had my SP for 19 years and wouldn't give it up for anything. In
    the 19 years I have had less than 10 UTI'S. It is so easy to take care
    of. I don't have to worry about how much fluids I drink. I also don't
    have to worry about cathing.

Hi Moko and welcome, 1st off if you put more info. in your profile that would help.
    I have a SP and it works well for me and now I have more independence and more sex and more comfort. The SP may leak alittle, but hey that's not a big deal to me at all. Good luck with your decision.
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

This is a decision that you need to make and you have started in a good direction asking the question. The way that I approach it with my patients is you need to look at the pro's and con's of doing it. So- here is the short list: PRO: 1. the tube is larger than a urthral cath so you don't have to worry as much about it clogging, 2. due to the location, it is easier to change than a urethral cath, 3. it does provide for more sexual freedom (although to be honest, I know plenty of people for whom a urethral cath did not really inhibit them), 4. it is reverseable. CON: 1. it is a foreign body in your bladder, 2. it can clog, 3. as with any foreign body, you can still get uti's. I have known many people who have had this done and swear by it. I know a few who changed their minds and had it reverse. There are by far more in the first group than the second.

Before I would rush to have this procedure done, I would encourage you to explore other options with your physician, such as a sphincterotomy. It does sound as though you may have an issues with bladder pressure being too high, so it does need to be addressed. Have you had urodynamics?

CKF

These decisions are not easy, Moko. However, remember that kidneys are an SCI's most precious assets and protecting them from UTI's is a priority. Do not put things off until you have to be shown the x-rays indicating rapidly advancing damage, bulging ureters, etc. like I did. I dodged a bullet, but not everybody is as lucky as I was.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Do any of y'all w/ SPs have conflicts w/ your wheelchair seatbelt? My urologist thinks the SP would be preferable to the Foley but I think my lapbelt would be tight across it.
    Any way around that?
    Robert

live free, drive fast

I just want to say thank you for all the replies so far. I'll have to do some research as to what a sphincterotomy is. I really don't have that big a problem with UTI, maybe 2 a year if that (is that a lot, par for the course, or not that many?). The sex issue is the main reason why I'm doing it. Sexually, I can rise to the occasion, but I have to wear a rather painful ring so I don't leak all over the place. I originally had an indwelling cath, but never had to self cath.