Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Bonuses for Caregivers

Well, I honestly do not see where you should have to step up to the plate and try to match what the agency did last year at all.

I would try to remember that old rule of "anything they get above what their regular pay is, is a gift and a blessing, and not something to be expected." Not trying to be harsh at all, but I am wondering if you did give them a day's pay this year, and then things change somehow by next year...would they expect the same thing next year? (I'm thinking what if the agency decides next year that they will be going back to the original plan and giving a big bonus...then what?)

Also, you have to remember that if these caregivers work for other people, then technically, you should not have to even toy with the idea of giving them anything except a fraction of what they got from the agency...know what I mean?

In other words, let's say they work for 10 people...and you gave them $200...well...that is a $2,000 bonus per caregiver total if everybody gave $200...

Just trying to get you to think this thru...

Teena

I am sort of regretting that I started this thread

Just to clarify, I am not trying to match the bonus they normally recieve from the agency. But given that they are not getting one from the agency this year and I have been cleared to give a small cash gift due to the staffing and funding arrangements I currently have with this agency, I would like to do so.

I have had a lot of things going on in my life this year with some health issues, returning to school, travelling, moving into a new condo, dealing with some serious stressors within my family, etc. And despite chronic annoyances like lateness, eating my food, talking on their cellphones too much, the fact is my quality of life would be much lower right now without the efforts of my caregiving staff. They were all really upset by the fact they won't be getting their bonuses, something that, right or wrong, is now affecting me. I want to do something small to take away some of that sting and also thank them for all they do for me. I just am not sure exactly what is the best way to do this, although the suggestions in this thread have given me some good ideas.

I am not talking about a large amount of money per person--anything they get from me will be small compared to what they normally recieve. I think Trainman understands why I want to do this because he needs a similar level of care and assistance getting to school as I do. If a person has never been in that situation, it might be harder to understand why I want (need) to do this.

Teena it's unlikely they would be able to accept a cash gift from most of the other agency's clients they may work with. As I already mentioned, I am part of a special program that gives me more control over some aspects of my funding than I normally would have being in my situation. Last Christmas I wasn't part of this program yet and was much more limited as Trainmain is, of what I could give out as a bonus.
    Last edited by orangejello; 11-23-2009 at 07:40 PM.

OJ: I thought Trainmans suggestions about the notes were good, to be used to encourage and to thank.

I do get the need and want to show thanks. This has been a crazy year with all kinds of changes. Your caregivers in large part have made it possible.

The sincerity of your gesture will come thru to them, no matter the size of the gift.

I got some good insight about how some do this. Same with Uncle Peter's thread a ways back.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Hey, I certainly did not mean to come off as so negative to your idea...and I was just thinking off the top of my head...and please please don't be wishing you never started this thread...

I think it is great that you want to do this, really I do...

I guess my mind is kinda poisioned towards caregivers who become too needy, do things haphazardly, etc. All I have to go on is the folks who stayed with my Grandma, and we had some crazy folks, believe me. One decided to go to the mall on her shift...called a cab, to the tune of about $50 back then, and called a neighbor to come stay with my Grandma, while she, the caregiver, went to the mall. Mind you my Mom would have been home in like 30 minutes to take care of my Grandma...and the caregiver had set times in which she was off, and we would have gladly taken her to the mall...

Another team of two ladies stayed with her, and the Postman stopped my Dad and asked if those ladies were staying with my Grandma...he said yes...and the Postman proceeded to tell him that his wife had to fire them from staying with his Mother-in-law because they were doubling her medication to make her sleep so they would not have to do anything...

And my Grandma had become more sleepy/less alert...and my Mom checked, and sure enough...the pills were going faster than they should and they got fired that very night...

And another instance, the caregiver turned the heat up to nearly 100 degrees, and my Grandma was so wet with sweat she could not stand it...

And then thank goodness, we got a wonderful caregiver after that, and all was well...

But what a mess...

So...please don't judge what I said, because like I said...I believe my mind is poisioned against caregivers who want to mooch off of other folks...

And follow your heart...it's a good heart...and it will let you know what to do!

Take care!!!

Teena

I like to give my care attendants a little something for Christmas and make them feel appreciated. If they are doing a good job it pays to keep them happy.

Hi OJ. We give Sean's caregivers $100.00 each at Christmas. He only has two and even though one of them works more hours than the other, they are both extremely dependable and have been with us for almost the full 6 years since his accident.

I feel like they go above and beyond for us, and they both love Sean and look after him with a great amount of care.

OJ: I give gifts to my caregivers every year. The good ones get a little more and the not so good ones get less but both with a card listing what wonderful things they done for me (of course, it indirectly, depend on the length of the list, tells them why they are getting what they got. from $50 to $200) I've also started to make them something as well, painting, cook them dinner, take them out for dinner or coffee or give them a day off to show my appreciation. They like that a lot because you appreciate their effort by spending your effort to make them something or spend time to appreciate them.

Just a thought... good luck!
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

Oj, I like the idea of the note detailing a few specific positive things about them, along with a bonus (ok, you still will have to determine the amount). For the ones that go that extra mile, it is always nice to know it was noticed.

And, if they are the type to be nosing around about what everyone else gets, the tardy nurse finds out you told someone else how much you appreciate how dependable she is; and the nurse who doesn;t do any more than she has to sees that you appreciate someone who always does a little more than she has to. Might pay off as well.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I can totally see why you want to treat them, their worsened morale will only affect you much more in the end. You really truley depend on yours & more of them so much more than the rest of us(well most). Still though, handing a dollar in a card is sounding pretty darned appropriate for mine right now. Good luck with whatever you come up with or better yet coming up with something.

An equal amount.