Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Holiday Bonuses for Caregivers

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post

Especially if blowing you off puts you in a bad position health, safety and anxiety wise. Big problem with respect here. Like they have none for you.
    I agree with everything you said, especially what is quoted above. I think it all boils down to those two sentences. But unfortunately either way I am screwed. I can't afford to fire her right now. And she knows that. And the idea that she takes advantage of that makes me angry. And humliated that I am in the situation of being that depedent upon her in the first place. But that is where I am.

I have thought about firing her. Many times. But reality is I am in no position to do that until I know there is somebody to hire to replace her. And right now there isn't. I have been trying for the past 8 weeks or so to hire a replacement for the other night person for maternity leave. I don't know what is more stressful, having her constantly blow of shifts or having to find two night staff, when I can't even find one.

Sorry for the negative tone. I am just very stressed today about this. I appreciated your reply very much. It gave me some things to think about.

To add to my last message, I am looking into the possibilty of having somebody live-in. But so far that doesn't seem a likely solution either.

Have you looked into bringing in an aide from overseas? like the philliphines? i know a lot of people wo have been satisfied with doing that....
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    Have you looked into bringing in an aide from overseas? like the philliphines? i know a lot of people wo have been satisfied with doing that....
    or kijiji for a foreign caregiver that is already in your area. Cutting the agency out of my life was the best thing that ever happened to me for my Independence.

When the economy is bad... great news for us looking for caregivers.
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    I have thought about this a lot. Especially earlier this year my short staffing issue hit a crisis level. But I guess I am still very reluctant to look into overseas help. I don't mind the cost to bring somebody here. I would gladly pay. But my care is very complex and training somebody would be a considerable undertaking. It seems so risky to hire from overseas. I think it would be very tough on me emotionally if I went through the effort to arrange the training and everything else and the person didn't work out in the end. That is my biggest fear of hiring from overseas.

But maybe my history with caregivers has made me more pessimistic than I should be. At school recently I was talking to a student with somewhat similar caregiving needs to mine who hired this way two years ago. His experience has been very positive. It has me thinking maybe I should look into it.

Another thing that has me thinking it might be a good idea is that a friend has been temporarily living with me while looking for a place of her own. She isn't involved in my care at all but has helped out in other ways. I have found having somebody around who isn't constantly watching the clock has been strangely reassuring for me. I used to think I would hate the idea of having somebody live in with me. Now I am seeing it could have some advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
    or kijiji for a foreign caregiver that is already in your area. Cutting the agency out of my life was the best thing that ever happened to me for my Independence.

When the economy is bad... great news for us looking for caregivers.
    I never heard of kijiji before. Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

I have managed to loosen some of the agency strings recently. But it hasn't been enough. I wonder about becoming more independent but I think my quality of life would be much higher if I was calling more of the shots instead of the agency. I would also be much happier overall.

I think I will start a new thread for this to see if anybody here would share their experiences with hiring overseas.
    Last edited by orangejello; 11-29-2009 at 06:19 PM.

And I belive a lot of the people from overseas are actually trained RN's who work in Canada as PCA's/LPN's until they have studied to pass the Canadian nursing exams.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Talking

After reading this thread, my caregiver threatened that if I didn't give her a bonus she'd divorce me.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

We all live in our private little hell that able bodied persons have no idea about. Being dependent such as we are in an extremely difficult situation emotionally. I recently terminated an employee who thought she had me boxed in very tight and sought to abuse the relationship. I plotted the replacement and when it went down it was ugly. I had to fight off a small claims case and dept of labor claims of abuse. Thus far, the dept of labor put her in her place, to my relief, and the small claims case was settled cheaply (for nuisance purposes).

She may be regrouping for another assault, but as time goes on since dept of labor dismissal with no appeal notice in the mail, I think she is running out of weapons and realized that she milked me as much as she could. I hope.

She needed money for supporting herself and xmas, but didn't understand human relationships. This is called emotional intelligence. Many folks don't have it. We need to work at it much more than others.