Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh baby! I just might be riding again!

Oh baby! I just might be riding again!

Long story short...I still have a spiffy 2002 BMW R1150R collecting dust in my garage. I was randomly looking into some sort of retractable landing gear coversion which probably wouldnt work too well for the street, but I stumbled onto something really interesting today. Here is a photo of the intended subject of my idea...

And here is what I am really considering having done. Looks like roughly $8K at current exchange rates for a kit to convert it including an electric shifter.

I just have to find out what sort of compatibility this company's kit has with the current BMW linked ABS my bike has, and just maybe I might be riding again next summer! I'm pretty stoked on this!

Go Andy!

Andy this sounds so great! My husband would like to ride again someday too and we've looked around on the web at different "trikes"...I didn't even know there was a kit to modify a bike like this! We don't have a bike to modify, so we'd have to out and out buy one...which will be a while ($$$$), but one day we may just pass you on the road! I'm going to set this on notify so I can see how it works out! Let us know! Good luck!! Carol

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!", he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing", said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

That looks pretty sick, Andy.

Andy, there is a Company called "Landing gear" I believe and they make a retractable set up that would be perfect for you BMW. I saw the setup on a Gold Wing. It was pretty cool as it allowed you to ride as a regular Motor Cycle until you got under 5 mph and then the Landing gear (Wheels on either side of the bike) come down so you dont have to put your legs down. I'll do a search on Google for you and post the link to their site.

Update, here it is, maybe it is just for Gold Wings, not sure, there my be other systems Similiar. http://www.winglandinggear.com/specs.html

Good luck.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

nice ride andy,

you might watch ebay i have seen a few trike kits sell on there most have been for harleys

Best of luck with it Andy..damn it looks good.. and i would have expected it to cost more..

Andy, how are you getting it passed the girlfriend & family?

I imagine they're probably not too keen on you riding again. I know mine isn't.

Originally posted by mk99:

Andy, how are you getting it passed the girlfriend & family?

I imagine they're probably not too keen on you riding again. I know mine isn't.
    They know I am a blithering idiot, so something like this is expected from me. Hey, I can tell them it's a 3 wheeler, how can I fall off? I only showed the gf the photos of it, the response I got was 'you better buy me my engagement ring first before you spend the 8K for the bike', so I guess that is a 'maybe' to her accepting it? We'll see if the ABS issue is an issue for this thing first to see if it will fly. The company says that ABS is ok for another model BMW trike (the cruiser kind, but that uses a different ABS system), but nothing on the R1150R system. We'll see what sort of reply they will give to my email on this.