Thread: Okay, I give up...

Okay, I give up...

Is there any possible way to "flip" the reply order on the board so that it reads top to bottom instead of bottom to top? It's really messing with my head...lol. Is this a preference somewhere that I can't find?

Don't piss me off or I'll run over your toes.

It's a site-wide setting... can't be customized per-user. Sorry.

-Steven

PB, sorry. It has long been a practice on spinewire, cando, and now this site to reverse the order of the postings (except for the main topic) so that the most recent postings appear near the top. The reason is to minimize the amount of clicking and navigation to see the most recent posts. Many of our topics have dozens or even hundreds of posts.

In order to present the screens faster, the site also creates templates of frequently accessed topics and while there is some customizability per user, reversing the order for some users is not possible with the current infopop software.

Wise.

Oh, okay. Well I guess that explains why I couldn't find it then.

I've started getting used to it, but then I find myself on other boards wanting to read from the bottom up. I see how it is, keeping us on our toes...make sure we're paying attention, huh? j/k

Don't piss me off or I'll run over your toes.

:: laughs:: Poor Peanut. You know it's all a conspiracy just to confuse you. *winks*

--Angela Lynn

Originally posted by Wise Young:

PB, sorry. It has long been a practice on spinewire, cando, and now this site to reverse the order of the postings (except for the main topic) so that the most recent postings appear near the top. The reason is to minimize the amount of clicking and navigation to see the most recent posts. Many of our topics have dozens or even hundreds of posts.

In order to present the screens faster, the site also creates templates of frequently accessed topics and while there is some customizability per user, reversing the order for some users is not possible with the current infopop software.

Wise.
    Wise, what you are saying makes sense. However, I disagree that it improves navigation.

A thread is like a story. It's not natural to want to read a story from end to beginning.

-Lewis

While you do have to scroll to the bottom and read up the page when you first read the thread, when you next read it I like having the most recent post right under the question, as you don't have to scroll down past everything you have already read. This is especially true for the long, multiple page threads.

(KLD)

It took me a while to figure out it was reversed when I first cam here. I've gotten used to it. I go to alot of forums, gaming, computer, photography and such. I find this one the hardest to use. You still have to scroll down to find the first unread message, then read up.

One computer related forum I visit uses vBulletin. It has a nice feature where it remembers the last post you read. At the top of the thread screen is a button to push that takes you to the first unread message within a thread.

Another gaming related forum I go to uses DCForum, it highlights the new messages in the thread overview, and the new message are outlined by a red box.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Originally posted by jimnms:

One computer related forum I visit uses vBulletin. .
    Oh yeah, vBulletin rocks! I used to be a resident on a board hosted by vBulletin pre-SCI, and I can say it has to be the best out there that I have used. I kind of understand the reasoning behind having this board operate backwards, but I am not so sure it is necessary as it does new pages fairly often also reducing the scrolling efforts. Unless you are checking threads several times in a day the newest post on top for easy access really doesnt help if you have to see several new posts and it becomes a general navigational disaster trying to figure out where you left off.