Thread: How do you install XP and Linux on the same box?

How do you install XP and Linux on the same box?

About 6 months ago I bought an off the shelf Compaq PC. After putting in a few extra cards, more memory and another drive this is my baseline configuration:

2.4 Pentium, 1gig ddr, NIC, modem, Nvidia video, USB's, serial and parallel ports.

One (1) 120 gig 5400rpm drive, portioned into a Compaq specific OS load (107 gig) and a second (4 gig) partition that allows you to restore the computer to its "factory defaults".

One (1) 80 gig 7200 rpm data/backup disk (old school, BEBO, Back up early, Backup often)

I also have a second box (PC) I access via PCanywhere that works as another backup for critical data, I want to leave it alone, for now.

The question is, what is the best way to configure the Compaq to a dual boot with XP Professional and Linux.

Since I really am not concerned with restoring to factory defaults (though the 4 gig partition is backed up on the second box) I plan on blowing away the C Drive and installing the new OS's from scratch.

Any advice on partition creation, boot menu, order of creation, etcetera would be appreciated. Also it has been 15 years since I installed UNIX so any tips on LINUX installation would be helpful.

Cris, there's a good introduction/installation guide over at the Gentoo site that explains the different partitions that you'll need for Linux.

-Steven

...and one more, Cris. TechTV has an article about setting up a dual-boot system with Linux and XP.

-Steven

Thanks Steven. Do you recommend Gentoo Linux over other flavors of UNIX? I will probablr d/l it.

UNIX (Gentoo Linux) with Mozilla looks like it will be a stable web platform and more secure then Windows will ever be.

When "Hacker" was a compliment UNIX was the platform. Now a "Hacker" is associated with Windows and is deragatory. IroniC, huh?

Whats the difference between plain Linux, Red Hat or Mandrake?

Which is the easiest to get Drivers for?

The different flavors of Linux [Red Hat/Mandrake/Gentoo/etc] are basically just different default configurations of the same thing. I like Gentoo because it has a portage tree like FreeBSD that allows you to install and update the different pieces of software very easily and automatically.

After installing Linux, you'll need to install a GUI [if you want one...]. KDE and Gnome are the most popular alternatives. I have had zero problems with drivers [all automatically detected], but I just use Gentoo in console mode for various things, not as my primary OS.

-Steven