Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Universal Design Comic

Universal Design Comic

Hello everyone,

I wrote, colored and lettered this comic for a universal design presentation for work. The artist is Chris Malgrain from France.

in English:
    http://www.phoenixink.ca/comics/english.jpg
    in French:
    http://demactive.fr/2009/11/handicap...rtistique.html

Enjoy.

CD
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

Universial Design

I get the stairs as a barrier, but what about the door color makes it inaccessible?
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    I get the stairs as a barrier, but what about the door color makes it inaccessible?
    I don't know about the color, but the door handles look like they're only on the inside. Doesn't look like there are any outside handles, nor enough room for the chair when the door opens outward. But that could just be perspective on my part.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

NIce job.

I've seen it posted somewhere else recently, can't remember where tho, but it is certainly getting air time.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    I want people to think universal design as not only for people with physical barriers but all....

the door color is a barrier for visually impaired individuals because the color is too close and majority of them can not distinguish the difference therefore are unable to see the wall from the door frame from the door.

CD

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I don't know about the color, but the door handles look like they're only on the inside. Doesn't look like there are any outside handles, nor enough room for the chair when the door opens outward. But that could just be perspective on my part.
    Good observation!

This is a true story. It happened to me about 6 or 7 years ago.

Do you guys have similar stories like this? I'd love to hear about them and maybe make an on-going comic of some sort with it?

A department store near me has a very nice notice on the door, w/ a h/c logo, stating something about them being happy to help, if you need assistance shopping, just ask a clerk, etc etc.

Yet the doors are extremely heavy and the is no automatic opener. So many of the customers who might need help, can;t even get in to ask.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

that's a good one Sjean423. I'll have to credit you with this story when I make it someday. Keep them coming!

R u on facebook? I think that's the only place my friend and I posted this comic.

Yes, I saw it there .... you must be a "friend of a friend ....."
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

That happens to me every day when I go out of the door. Even the new school for my small one and his old school. And all the offices and the shops. I am tired of it. I have been without sigarettes in the weekend because of it. I survieve because I have snus but it is boring after a while to meet things like that all the time. I understand why most dis in this town never go out. I was waiting two months to buy a heater in my house because of it too.
    TH 12, 43 years post