Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wet wet wet..ireland

wet wet wet..ireland

For those of you interested in ireland...we have had some of the worst flooding in 80 years...especially in the south and west coast..whole towns are nowflooded with rivers bursting their banks and upto5 feet of water flowing through streets,shops and houses.Fields have dissappeared and arejust like rivers.I have never seen such damaged done to so much of the country...and more bad wind and rain is on the way.

With christmas coming some businesses are destroyedand all stock damaged....they say our weather will keep getting worse because of global warming.

Hi Muriel,
    I have been thinking about you today, along with some other friends in Ireland. I saw pictures on RTE of UCC's totally flooded field, along with some in Ballinasloe in the area of shops. Apparently when they released some of the pressure on the dam it created additional flooding in Cork City? I also heard more rain was expected tonight and into tomorrow. Are you OK? I hope all is well for you and that the rain stops and the water receeds as quickly as possible.

Eileen its 7.30a.m here and the storm has started again, with horrific rain. As long as I am alive I never saw cork like it. They had to release water off the dam as they were concerned that the pressure was too bad and it could burst. My two sons are at ucc and they are off for a full week because of the damage done. you may know bandon town, both rivers there burst their banks and the town ended up with 5 feet of water in it...they say its like a mini venice. A friend has a shop in the town and her stock is destroyed. Most of cork city got flooded and was closed for a good while yesterday and one hospital had to evacuate patients as its next to the river lee and part of the quay wall collapsed, and the river poured in. The west and the south west are the worst effected with clonakilty and other towns flooded with water. I live on top of a hill overlooking cork harbour, but with alot of trees close to my house, and right now its not funny lyng here as the rain and wind is driving right into the house.

This country is facing into the worst budget ever next month with huge cuts, especially going to effect the lower income and social welfare. They are cutting childrens allowance and alot of things to do with carers and medical stuff. The big problem now is that insurance companys are faced with bills for millions, but wether they will pay out or not as some say its caused by an act of god. Basically i think some people will not manage as their homes are destroyed and money is not there.

Muriel,
    My deepest sympathies to my countrymen who have lost so much during these floods. I am glad to hear you say you live on the top of a hill, however, because as bad as the rain and wind is I am hoping that keeps your house safe from the flood waters. I do know Bandon, and had heard about a family of five (including an 87 year old) being rescued by helicopter by the army. I remember once being on one of the mountain pass roads and having to turn around because the water was running off the hillsides so fast there was a real possiblity of being washed right off the road, and that was after a normal rainstorm, so I can't even imagine how impassable things must be right now. Do you have enough of the essentials like food? My family in in Co. Clare and I have heard that Ennis is in bad shape too, which isn't hard to imagine since the streets are so very narrow and the majority of the town is at the bottom of the slope in the road.

It's no better across the water, 14" of rain in 24 hrs in the Lake District the highest amount since records began.

A police constable drowned when a bridge collapsed under him.

Wales, Northern England and Southern Scotland suffering major flooding and it's still raining.

Stay dry everyone!

On second thought, maybe I'll just cross the pond for the Olympics. LOL

Stay dry!
    And the truth shall set you free.

I saw it on the news. It was bad. It is coming here after, it has started on the western coast already and it is going to be worse. I am living on the other side of the country, we well get the some of the rain only.

But it has been raining for weeks here already, but not like that.

Stay safe and dry.
    TH 12, 43 years post

My daughter spent last semester at UCC. She has been talking to friends there and heard first hand about the flooding. I hope you are ok Muriel.

ps .... I wonder if she knew your sons. What a small world.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Muriel,
    I just got through reading the latest update, and the fact that more heavy rain is expected tonight, along with a "boil water" order for many places. I saw a few pictures of Bandon, and a house in Craughwell that is totally flooded. I hope you have clean water and dry floors my friend.

Best of luck Muriel. Stay safe please - sorry Ireland is having so many troubles, weather and economic at the same time. I hope the storms end soon.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!