Thread: Spinal Cord Injuries: Experimental Drug May Restore Function of Nerves

Spinal Cord Injuries: Experimental Drug May Restore Function of Nerves

"ScienceDaily (Nov. 20, 2009) — Researchers have shown how an experimental drug might restore the function of nerves damaged in spinal cord injuries by preventing short circuits caused when tiny "potassium channels" in the fibers are exposed."

Source

Very interesting find!

Sounds good... Let's see it get to practice
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

The experimental compound, 4-aminopyridine-3-methyl hydroxide, has been shown to restore function to damaged axons, slender fibers that extend from nerve cells and transmit electrical impulses in the spinal cord.
    The compound is a derivative of the drug 4-aminopyridine, used primarily as a research tool and also to manage symptoms of multiple sclerosis.
    Another key advantage of the new compound is that it's about 10 times more potent than 4-aminopyridine, meaning lower doses can be used to reduce the likelihood of serious side effects.
    Very interesting, I agree. Many here have tried or are currently taking 4-AP. If this compound is 10 times more potent, that can only be a good thing. I'd like to hear what Wise has to say about this.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Sounds promising. How do labs procure this drug for research?
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

I was in and out of the 4-AP and the Acorda Fampridine clinical trials for close to two years. I can't really say that I experienced any real negative side effects with this medication. These independent pharmacies compounding this drug may be a different kettle of fish.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

sounds promising for someone like me
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery