Thread: Peripheral Neuropathy and Lyrica

Peripheral Neuropathy and Lyrica

These forums have been very helpful to me, so I though I would post my two cents about something in which I have seen many questions.

I am an incomplete quad (c-4,5,6) but you'd never know it at first glance. I am a 40 year old man and am in better shape than most 25 year olds. My paralysis is in many supporting muscles on the upper left side of my body. I also have low bladder, anal tone. I also may have SCI related peristalsis (my diagnosis). The worst of all of this is a severe (level 10) pain in my left arm.

For 17 years I lived with this pain, which was present 75% of my waking time. Then I discovered Lyrica. The pain was gone, and I mean GONE, within 48 hours. Yes it did cause some dizziness at first, but I got over that quickly. Another wonderful side effect is a 99% of the time abatement of RLS (restless leg syndrome). I never even knew I had that until it was gone and I researched it.

Lyrica literally changed me BACK to the person I was supposed to be. With the pain I went through two marriages and several jobs. In retrospect I was constantly mentally fatigued from having to concentrate so much in dealing with my pain. People close to me, especially my new (third) wife, say I'm like a totally different person. Common comments are: You seem so happy!, You always smiling., What has happened to you! You seem so calm and patient now. I NEVER heard this kind of thing before. In fact, at one job I had earned the nickname Chappy for my constantly crabby attitude.

So, if you are thinking about Lyrica, I would definitely give it a try. Maybe it will change your life to.

Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions.
    William

William,
    I am so glad for you that Lyrica has such a positive effect. I think it is important people to hear. Often, people are sharing Lyrica horror stories.
    I , also had a good response to Lyrica. I must admit that reading over and over the tough time people had getting off it started to get me worried, kind of like reading propaganda. So I lowered my dose from 150mg three times a day to 75mg twice a day. I have even tried to not take it and succeeded for a month taking a Lyrica 'drug holiday'. I think I was better on it and enjoyed life better, so I am back on it.
    May I ask what dose you take?

congrats, it did'nt work for me.