Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheers Mate in Your Honor

Cheers Mate in Your Honor

Hey Mate~
    I think of you often, miss you tons. Can't believe it's been a year.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...Dogger&page=20
    Keep expecting an email, a call or to see your grin. Zman talks about you often.
    You changed my life, the lives of many....miss you.
    Last edited by cheesecake; 11-20-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I had the same thoughts Monday. I wish he were still here with us.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    I had the same thoughts Monday. I wish he were still here with us.
    Steven~ he still is, just we carry him a bit closer to us in our hearts.

I wish I could have gotten to know him better.

He was the first person I met at Carecure, in the chatroom.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    He tried to protect me from someone he deemed a 'devo' .... he had damn good instincts too!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    in the chat where he was a beer mug? I met him there and another guy--XRacer, Dogger never stopped worrying when xRacer disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    Steven~ he still is, just we carry him a bit closer to us in our hearts.

....... I remember chatting with him as well ..... his light will continue to shine .... all over CC !!

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I don't think dogger would mind my acknowledging that the world is just that bit more cold, and less interesting and entertaining, without him in it. It's time I got an email from him as well, we checked on each other periodically. Aging sucks, and one of the big reasons is that you blink and people you adored are suddenly gone. In my youth, that happened infrequently. In my middle age, it seems to happen all the time...And it's harder, at this age, to find replacements for the ones that went early. Not that dogger COULD be replaced, but the odds of finding a friend even remotely that cool seem quite slim at this point.

How does one replace a loner of an Aussie quadriplegic that could run a huge sheep farm, during a drought, aided only by dogs and the occasional neighbor? A spelling and punctuation perfectionist that took personal offense at lazy communications, regardless of the hand spasms that made it nearly impossible for him to write a sentence to meet his standards on the first try? A loving father of triplets, who would doubtless have been held to their father's own high standards? A political activist that truly believed mutual respect was the best means to accomplishing a goal? A friend that always knew just when one might be in desperate need of a supportive PM or email, and that was always willing to share his knowledge in the vast realm of topics in which he was educated, whether via formal schooling, compulsive reading or that best of all teachers, The School of Hard Knocks? An ally that thought outside the box, was loath to interfere yet would occasionally submit a well-planned, carefully considered option that might well solve the Problem du Jour in a beautifully thorough yet simple coup of some type? A friend of the sort that would remind one, when one we feeling beat down, that one is still considered to be a "tidy package"...and one ALWAYS knew such words were offered in all sincerity, because dogger didn't bother to lie at times when the truth was called for.

I'm sitting here thinking of examples, but they aren't all my stories to tell. I remember when I got Dingo, I asked Dogger for advice on training and such. Dogger recommended I make an effort to include the whole family in the process. He said if Dingo became a one-woman dog, my husband was sure to get bitten when we engaged in a bit of "slap and tickle". LOL, only Dogger would have seen that as a risk-and he was right, it was!

And my favorite, the New Year's Eve that Dogger was sitting in his living room with his gun (shotgun, as I recall). He'd seen a LARGE snake in his house, and it hadn't yet exited. Dogger planned to shoot it and carry it 30 miles, to his nearest neighbor, for identification. "Dogger, what makes you think your neighbor can ID that snake, if you've lived there all your life and you can't?" "Well, my neighbor is a herpetologist, a guy by the name of Steve Irwin."

Yes, his neighbor was Steve Irwin, but Dogger had never mentioned it-He didn't care for name-droppers. How he mourned when Irwin was prematurely killed in a freak accident! I like to think they are hanging out together now, and Dogger can keep up with Irwin, no problem...

Reading this today hurt as bad as reading last year, he truly did touch the hearts of many of us here.