Thread: Timing of IC's ???

Timing of IC's ???

I do know that this is an individual thing but my son just had botox treatment today for the second time and they suggested that we try cathing more frequently too...we have been cathing every 4 hours or so during the day but one cool breeze and he would leak. I have no problem with that only want to know in "the real world" how often do most C5/C6's cath? What is realistic if my son is going to be able to do this himself after we stop leaking and are able to remove the condom cath and leg bag? Also what is a the typical routine for the night time? How many times do most people cath during the night? Currently he leaks so he goes approx 7.5-8 hours between the cath at night the inturpted sleep was taking a toll on us all prior to that schedule plus he would leak no matter how ffrequent we cathed and no large volumes. Also how much is to be expected as a bed time output he usually goes to bed at midnight and gets up around 7:30 but would love to sleep longer?
    Oh boy....lots of questions and no real answers for sure...just life experiences I am sure, but that is what gets us through. Thank you for your time in advance!!!
    strength for today, hope for tomorrow and peace always!!!

i cath every four hours even at night. i know it's hard but i have to turn over to and i can't do it myself my mom has been helping for 19 years. you might want to ask your doctor about getting some meds that well help stop the leaking. after a while you will get used to it. it's hard at first. does he get a lot of uti's? 7.5 to 8 hours is a long time to go without cathing. hope this helps some. good luck!
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

SCI Nurse will say every 4 hours and volumes less than 450ml.
    Many SCIers state every 5 or 6 hours with volumes less than 600ml
    A few go every 8 hours with volumes of 800ml or more

This thread I started three years ago has some good info on quads and doing intermittent cathing. At one time I was very resistent to switch from the condom cath/leg bag to intermittent cathing, but it was one of the best things I've done to improve my life with SCI, and I wish I'd done it a decade or more sooner.

I don't follow a strict cathing schedule, but I'm incomplete in regards to sensation, so I can feel when my bladder needs to be emptied. If I'm at home and not going out anywhere, I'll try to drink more and end up having to cath more often. If I'm drinking coffee, I may have to cath as often as once an hour. But I can go all night in bed without needing to cath if I limit my fluids in the evening. I try to keep cathing supplies by the bed in case I need to cath during the night, but I've forgotten sometimes and needed to get in my chair in order to go cath in the bathroom.

I rarely leak, and I generally feel the urge to pee at around 400cc; however, I have held up to 1000cc when unable to get to a bathroom to cath. I've noticed I start to feel very uncomfortable at 700cc, and it's probably best to keep volumes around 400cc or so usually.

Some guys find it easier to strictly control fluid intake, thus having a more strict cath schedule.

http://www.medtechga.com/main/gripper.html

Your son might want to try this new catheter.

What did his urodynamics studies show? Did he have high pressures at a certain volume? Does he get AD at a certain volume?Too me those are the usual reasons he would need to cath at a certain times or if he got ad.Does he get AD with high volumes? If he doesn't drink and cuts off fluids he migh be able to go 7.5 hours but too much longer is pushing it.

CWO