Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of chair will fit in a car

For one Herco I may have worded it wrong but I meant it towards the tippers thing. How dare anybody attack my competence because I choose to roll with my tippers still. Yea its been 2.5 years but if I choose to roll with tippers, training wheels and crutches at the same time that's my business, it has nothing to do with competence. That is an ignorant remark, attacking my choice. As for the jackass calling me a pimp drug dealer or anything else, what the fuck is on your mind asshole! I PAID in full 113000 dollars in full for my ride. It can be bright yellow with pink polka dots all over it, when you spend that much on a car there ain't a mother fucking tacky about that so shut the fuck up. You obviously dont know a thing about big spending or good taste! And for your information, I own a contracting and construction company and made my 1st million by the time I was 26. I have a 2008 cadillac escalade which is black and 5 other cars which are collectibles not to mention my work trucks. Is the color black alright with you for my cadillac truck. Is it ok that my house is built with red bricks or is that tacky too? Your fuckin retarded criticizing and attacking me because the choices I make. I lost more money than you will ever see in life so back up. All this is way off track with my original question, which is the best size chair to fit in my car. If you cant help me with that question, then get off my thread.
    Last edited by Han Solo; 11-18-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isdale25 View Post
    As for what makes me think people here don't drive nice cars, the car threads for one don't help the argument nor is there a pervasiveness of well employed individuals with the wherewithal to buy nice cars.
    Nice way to assume and prop up your own ego.

Han Solo - You don't need to defend yourself or explain yourself to Isdale25 or answer his/her petty insults. Also, you already explained why you use the anti-tippers, and it makes perfect sense, even for a para.

It doesn't take much time to disassemble a rigid chair & load it. I'm a quad and tear my chair apart daily. If you can plan an extra 5min (which is often more than is needed) on either side of your trip, it's a non-issue. Just find as light of a chair as possible that breaks down well.

That said, DDing a car with a cashmere interior simply isn't practical if you hope to keep it pristine.

Alternatively, it sounds like it'd be no big deal to hire someone to be your full-time chair-taker-aparter.

what about getting a robot 3000? i think its available in north america from kinomobility - though they probably call it something different... thatll load your chair, folding or rigid, without it coming in contact with the car exterior, or you having to do any work (or give up a car seat)

eta: robot 2001, http://kinomobility.com/text.php?sec...ction=4&page=1
    Last edited by amyk; 11-18-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sam10685 View Post
    If you're looking to get a new chair, go for a Quickie GTX. that's what I'm doing. Very compact even with the wheels on. Not only will it fold like an accordion but the back will also fold down. You can take the wheels off to make the main part smaller but you don't need to. I'll post pictures of mine when it comes. Here's a picture of it with the back wheels on and all folded up...
    I don`t think the GTX it`s the easier chair to put in to a car, it fold and don`t take up much room, but the frame weight the double than a rigid ultralight wheelchair.

Han Solo this guy have a Mercedes too with leather seats, look how easy he put in to the car a ultralight wheelchair, just choise a chair with a transfer weight under 12lbs that you prefer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbMDPVdrBvQ

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    But I've seen guys easily put a folder behind the front seat without it touching anything but the floor, so maybe that's what Han Solo is looking to do.
    Yea, I guess I was just trying to point out, that either way, he was going to have to maneuver and awkward object up over his body and into the chair. Unless he had a mini van or something w/. suicide doors.

I wouldn't mind seeing that method of loading the folder. Do they swing it over their head (with the seat reclining) and into the back?

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Han Solo this guy have a Mercedes too with leather seats, look how easy he put in to the car a ultralight wheelchair, just choise a chair with a transfer weight under 12lbs that you prefer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbMDPVdrBvQ
    Damn he is fast!! Run time on that video is 1:55 ... and he takes the chair out. and the loads it back in that time.
    Last edited by sjean423; 11-18-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    It doesn't take much time to disassemble a rigid chair & load it. I'm a quad and tear my chair apart daily. If you can plan an extra 5min (which is often more than is needed) on either side of your trip, it's a non-issue. Just find as light of a chair as possible that breaks down well.
    Just because I was curious, I timed it today. It takes me 12 seconds to take off the wheels. I don;t use tippers (but I see his point, with kids hopping on) and I tend to leave the arm rests at home when I am out running errands. But got to figure, even w/ all 3 on, that's less than a minute extra. And the frame is much lighter that a whole folded GTX.

So, Solo, give it a try w. the chair you have before you consider buying something else just because you think it would be easier.

But, back off a bit on the rich dude attitude .... ok? Glad to hear you are rich and all, but it isn;t making a good impression.

eta ..... The whole shebang takes me under 5 minutes, this was just to show the difference betw the folding and the rigid
    Last edited by sjean423; 11-18-2009 at 09:51 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Last edited by -scott-; 11-18-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: off-topic.

Han Solo, I think what your asking for just doesn't exist or at least I have never seen a wheelchair that doesn't need to be broken down to be put inside a vehicle. If you get a GTX folding you will still have to take the seat cushion off and probably fold down the back and actually fold the chair to get it into a vehicle. If you get a rigid you will need to take off the wheels, cushion and fold down the back so pretty much the same amount of steps in either.

I have had both a folding and a rigid and I like the rigid way more that the folding for getting in and out of vehicles, it breaks down smaller, each piece is easier to handle and lighter. With a folding chair the frame is way more awkward to handle, for me anyways.

I also get what your saying about damaging your vehicle I have bought 5 brand new vehicles since 1998 and have done some sort of damage to the vehicle because of the wheelchair. I have come to the conclusion it is just a vehicle and it can be replaced and for me it is more important to have the freedom of driving than worry about the little bit of damage I do to the vehicle. Besides usually my passengers and family members do way more damage to my vehicles.