Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of chair will fit in a car

What kind of chair will fit in a car

I'm looking to get my license so I can finally drive and get around, but my problem is when I do start driving I dont want to have to go through taking my quickie gt apart. I'd rather get a light weight chair that I can just fold up or something instead of taking the wheels off, removing the seat, taking off the arms and tippers, then folding it up and putting it in the car. ThenI have to put it all back together when I get out! Also how do I go about getting my license?

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    I'm looking to get my license so I can finally drive and get around, but my problem is when I do start driving I dont want to have to go through taking my quickie gt apart. I'd rather get a light weight chair that I can just fold up or something instead of taking the wheels off, removing the seat, taking off the arms and tippers, then folding it up and putting it in the car. ThenI have to put it all back together when I get out! Also how do I go about getting my license?
    If you're looking to get a new chair, go for a Quickie GTX. that's what I'm doing. Very compact even with the wheels on. Not only will it fold like an accordion but the back will also fold down. You can take the wheels off to make the main part smaller but you don't need to. I'll post pictures of mine when it comes. Here's a picture of it with the back wheels on and all folded up...

GTX with the wheels on and all folded up. (picture courtesy of TotoL1.)

i think RJP has a used Quickie GTX for sale

I have a quickie gt, and have no trouble loading it. It takes under 5 minutes. There is actually a thread on here about someone wishing they had a rigid instead of a folding, as they are having trouble with loading the folding chair.

(here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124504 )

So, be sure you try loading both types before you make any decisions about another chair.

A folding needs a different sort of space than a broken down rigid, so look at that when you consider a vehicle too.

As far as getting your liscense, it varies a LOT from state to state. Did you have a liscense already before you were hurt, ot are you starting at square one?

Good luck, getting back on the road was the biggest step towards getting my life back!

eta, I just looked at your profile. I suspect you already have a drivers lisc from before you accident. In Connecticut, mine was actually still valid. But in order to put hand controls on I had to be trained on them by someone from the DMV. I know Mass is similar, and that some states have no regulations about it at all.

Hopefully someone from PA will chime in on the rules there.
    Last edited by sjean423; 11-17-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Stick with the GT or get a better rigid chair if you're going to spend the money. To be frank, at your level unless you're obscenely lazy removing a cushion, the wheels, anti-tips and arms is not a significant process. With a relatively low injury 2.5 years post you should have developed the competence to do without the anti-tips and have realized that armrests are more often than not needless dead weight.

Stay with a rigid chair, as a para do you really have a need for the arm rests & anti tippers?

I'm not lazy at all friend, 4 one I drive a 2007 mercedes benz s550 with cashmere interior. I dont really want to beat up the light color interior not to mention my car is white. All that taking apart and putting it together will eventually end up scratching the outside of my car no matter how careful I am. So it only makes sense to get a chair with not that much to do to take care of my car. All my cars are expensive so dont talk to me about competence, jackass.

Sorry for the double post as far as questioning the anti-tips & arm rests.

Ya I keep the tippers on because I feel more comfortable with them on, and I have a 3 year old who climbs up the back of my chair everytime I get in it and Im not always prepared when he does it. When Im not in it both of my kids play in it and Id feel terrible if one of them tipped back and got hurt. Plus he rides on my lap and urges me to go fast so its just best I keep them on. Not to mention I fell more times than a lil bit from not having them on Id rather them be on. As far as the arm rests, hell ya I need them on because its easier for weight shifts and it sucks when you dont have anywhere to put your elbows to rest.