Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question re friends homes and accessibility

Some of my friends have moved to accessible homes when they had to relocate. I have been able to convince them that it is in their best interest because they may need it someday. Because I have had to do some traveling to places that are not accessible, for many years I have carried a set of portable, telescoping ramps with me in my van. I use them when friends have problem entrances. Most of them are eager to help put the ramps in place. The ramps also serve as an emergency way out of my van if the lift fails.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I have a ramp too and had plans to put it in my car when I am allowed to drive again.
    TH 12, 43 years post

my grandma,auntand brother has built ramps for me and my uncle just bought a house that is accessible but it took 3 year for my aunt and brother to build a ramp

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Thank you for your responses. I know I have been doing this wheelchair thing for a very long time, but I really do not want to be hoisted up stairs anymore,

<snip>

I don't even think it crosses their mind, and yet I know they like me because it is often them being proactive about getting together.
    Perhaps a lot of this is that for a very long time you have been dealing with this, successfully, w/o them making any modifications?

I think you are right, they just haven;t thought of it, as opposed to not wanting to be bothered to do something to make it easier for you to get in.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

My parents built a ramp for my husband at their house, my sister bought an accessible home, my other sister built a ramp (but she also babysits a child in a chair) and our daughter bought an accessible home. We carry a portable ramp which allows us into my grandmas and a few other places. None of Davids family has built a ramp for him nor none of his friends. His niece is actually getting married in December, sent us an invite but church is not accessible. --so in other words don't come.

one of my friends that I have known for about three years called me earlier in the year saying that they were getting a new entry for their home and she asked me how wide I would need it to be to get in ok. Amazing how good some people are.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Perhaps a lot of this is that for a very long time you have been dealing with this, successfully, w/o them making any modifications?

I think you are right, they just haven;t thought of it, as opposed to not wanting to be bothered to do something to make it easier for you to get in.
    sjean, I think you might be right, but I have made it pretty clear that my risk of further injury has prevented any desire to be lifted and potentially dropped.
    ------
    What varied responses, although it does seem like a painful subject for more than just me here. The wedding invite to an inaccessible church says it all.......talk about a mixed message. Sorry for other people's pain on this issue too.

Could be worse, they could live here
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Thank you for your responses. I know I have been doing this wheelchair thing for a very long time, but I really do not want to be hoisted up stairs anymore, so I am either having people over to my place, which is tiny, or more likely meeting them somewhere like a restaurant or coffee shop. Two weeks ago both elevators in my building went out for five hours, and panic set in pretty badly. Before coming here I had lived in a ranch house, so even if the electric garage door didn't go up during a power outage, I could still go out the ramped back door. Suddenly I felt very trapped, and it wouldn't have mattered if I had been in my unit or downstairs, either way it was not a good feeling. I started thinking of all my friends who have homes that I can't get into, and was thinking to myself that if they didn't get the elevator working I had no place to go other than to a hotel (without jammies, toothbrush, or anything else) and started thinking about the fact that this has become the "norm." My panic was more than what the situation required, but I am feeling badly that no one has come up with a couple of boards nailed together as a temporary access for me. I don't even think it crosses their mind, and yet I know they like me because it is often them being proactive about getting together. Who knows, maybe I woudn't think about it either if the situation was reversed, but I really think I might, if for no other reason than my mother had been post-polio, so I was already somewhat aware of access issues before my own swan dive.
    I got tired of being hoisted up over and over, after twenty or so years, i finally had enough, can't expect it of friends, but would have thought family would have thought more, lets face it as we get older, it's harder and harder to be hosited up safely, of course my mom always had a ramp at her place, so I told my brothers and sisters if i couldn't get in there house by myself, don't expect me to visit, yes including dinners, etc
    so my three sisters put up ramps, two brothers didn't
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

At my best friend's house, I've always had to cath in their laundry room, it's an old house and I couldn't fit thru any bathroom doors. He had a water leak and had to partially redo the small guest bath. He went all out and completely rearranged it and widened the door so that I could get in and turn around in it.

My brother put a ramp on the old house on his land in OK. His house here has one only one step, so we just pop/lift over that.

My Sis and Bro-in-law in Louisiana put a big switchback ramp up to their front porch as their house is about 4ft off the ground. And it's not like we visit all that often, so was surprised by this. But my b-i-l is a helluva guy.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"