Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Incomplete SCI C5 C6

New Incomplete SCI C5 C6

Hello, I am grateful for the information this site has to offer.

I am one year post injury. I had a trip and fall accident that caused my paralysis throughout my body. I had surgical fusion front and back at C5 C6 level. I had physical therapy for nine months, and went from bedridden to wheelchair to walker, and at present can walk with use of a cane. I still have some areas of paralysis, and burning in my arms, hands and legs. I do my therapy on my own now at home, and have "high hopes" for more recovery.

Welcome to our forums. You will find others here who also have a central cord incomplete SCI who you can talk to, as well as all our other members with various types of SCI/D. Please share your experiences, ask questions, and actively participate in our community.

(KLD)

I have an incomplete C5 injury, as a result of either swelling or a spinal stroke post-op after a four-level cervical laminectomy. I never lost the ability to walk, but had severe balance issues, which have resolved for the most part. I had minimal use of my hands at first; I can now use them almost normally, but can't rotate them well. My biggest problem is my biceps and deltoids are not firing and my shoulder rotator cuffs are weak. This makes showering, dressing, cooking, and anything requiring raising my arms very challenging.

It sounds like you've made a great recovery so far. I hope that you learn a lot from this site and continue to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari in Pacific NW View Post
    I have an incomplete C5 injury, as a result of either swelling or a spinal stroke post-op after a four-level cervical laminectomy. I never lost the ability to walk, but had severe balance issues, which have resolved for the most part. I had minimal use of my hands at first; I can now use them almost normally, but can't rotate them well. My biggest problem is my biceps and deltoids are not firing and my shoulder rotator cuffs are weak. This makes showering, dressing, cooking, and anything requiring raising my arms very challenging.

It sounds like you've made a great recovery so far. I hope that you learn a lot from this site and continue to recover.
    Thank You! In the beginning I had weak arms, however with occupational therapy, and some weight training with 2 - 3 lbs helped strengthen my biceps, deltoids even when I had to lift my left arm, weight in hand with with the right hand. Now I have stronger arms. I still use the weights and do my own hand therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Welcome to our forums. You will find others here who also have a central cord incomplete SCI who you can talk to, as well as all our other members with various types of SCI/D. Please share your experiences, ask questions, and actively participate in our community.

(KLD)

Thank You

HOw long ago was your injury?

I'm also pretty new here and also have a similar injury. I'm going on 4 years post-injury, but I'm still making gains.
    What astounds me is that you had 9 months of therapy. I was kicked out of the hospital after 3 months and had almost no outpatient therapy. Now I'm trying to make up for that and exercise more to see how much stronger I can get.
    Anyway, glad to meet you all, and I look forward to learning more.
    -Dusty

---C5-incomplete "walking quad", Dec.28,2005---

JB3822,

August 2008, with fusion surgery at c5-c6
    Last edited by capricorn; 11-28-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Crasspip, best wishes to you.

I was hospitalized for 3 weeks in intensive care complete paralysis, and some elevating therapy and therapists moving my limbs. Then transferred and Insurance covered therapy for 6 weeks as an inpatient in a rehab hospital facility, then home therapy for 8 weeks, then back to the rehap as outpatient for 60 consecutive visits, about 3 months twice a week Then I found therapy at our local hospital that was reasonable out of pocket costs for 8 weeks. Now I do all that I was taught at home everyday (except sundays) and I have a family member stand by while working out, and especially when walking without the cane.

wow

well thats good you can walk again, do you have bowl and blatter back if you don't mind ma asking. I'm almost 3yrs post injury and i can barely move my wrist's. same level to.