Thread: Nerogenic Bladder

Banned

Nerogenic Bladder

On the 27th of september my 9 year old son had an accident resulting in t-7 injury. he has a neurogenic bladder with spasms. i was wondering if there is something natural that he can take for his bladder. when he was at gillette he was given ditropan, he ended up getting major headaches and was not able to sweat. he was also waking up extremly hot in the middle of the night. i would love to find out if there is a natural treatment for his bladder, i don't like to give my son anymore drugs than i have to.

I don't know of any herbal or non-traditional "natural" substances that have the type of anticholenergic properties needed to decrease bladder pressures, reduce leaking, and increase capacity that can be achieved with Ditropan, Detrol, Vesicare, Sanctura or Enablex. Has he tried all of these? It is very early for him to have urodynamics, but he should have this at about 3-6 months post injury when his bladder has stopped changing a lot. Down the road, if these meds do not work and/or he has excessive side effects, then Botox (which is of course a "natural" drug) could be considered, as could a surgical solution like a bladder augmentation.

While it is always a good idea to minimize the use of medications, doing this at the risk of long-term kidney damage from high pressures, or having to cath every 2 hours to avoid being wet is not in your son's best interest.

(KLD)