Thread: General Transfer Board Information Needed

General Transfer Board Information Needed

I am a graduate student at Georgia Tech, pursuing a masters in Industrial Design. I am currently working on a transfer board design, but need some assistance with defining how they are used.
    Some jumping off questions:
    If you use a transfer board, where do you use it daily (bathroom, bed, car, etc.)?
    Where do you store your board?
    Was there a key feature that helped you choose your current board?
    What would you change about the function of your current board?
    What would you change about the form of your current board?

Thanks so much for your help.
    Jim

I use a transfer board for every transfer from my wheelchair to any other seating surface, be it car, toilet, or bath chair. I keep a board next to my bed, another one in my car, and if I go somewhere that I might need to transfer (such as a doctor's office) I carry one in my backpack, which in my case is just a normal NorthFace backpack. I look for rounded corners, hand holds, and a good polish to slide across. I have both hardwood and a scuptured plastic, but I prefer the hardwood because the plastic does not have hand holds, I suspect because it would weaken the plastic too much.

Mostly we use either a ceiling track lift or a mobile travel lift, but when we travel we may need to use a slide board to get in and out of a car. Light weight, but strong is important to us, and the ability to get it into a suitcase and carry in a wheelchair backpack. It needs a slick surface on the top and less so on the bottom, with no risk of splinters or areas that could pinch or cut/tear the skin.

(KLD)

I use a transfer board for every transfer from my wheelchair to any other seating surface, bed, sifa, car, or bath chair. I keep a board next to my bed, another one in my car, and if I go somewhere that I might need to transfer (such as a doctor's office) bring my car board in. I have 2 lengths, as I need a longer board fror car transfers. A handhold is very important.

The only thing I wish I had, was a way to fit it on a smaller space, as it sticks out of my backpack. A folding one would be great, but in that case .. you have to consider that the hinge could be a danger for pinching.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I'm another who uses a board for all transfers. I have three. Two wood, and one plastic. Prefer the wood ones - sliding on them seems a lot easier than on my plastic board.
    One is for bed/car transfers. Another small one is specially for getting on and off my couch, and I have the plastic one for getting in and out of my powerchair.
    One board could do for all the transfers - I have three just so I don't have to carry a board everywhere.

I don't need hand holds, and prefer not to have them.

I want a folding board really bad too! But like sjean mentioned - hinges would be a concern.

I transfer to Bed, Showerchair & Wheelchair. Sometimes onto a low doctors table or rehab mat.
    This is the board i use. Because its got a coating over the wood that lets me slide easier on it.
    http://www.ultraslick.com/UltraS.htm
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I drive from my chair, but keep one in the van in case of a breakdown and need to get into a car. My rehab ctr made their own and sent me home with a standard and a long one for cars. I lost my long one and haven't seen any advertised that were as long as i had to span a large gap from chair to bucket seat.

I have a wooden one that my husband made. I only use it when I travel to get onto/off of beds since they're so high in motel rooms. I carry it in my truck, and wish there was a way to incorporate a hinge also to make it easier to carry. I currently place the board in between my feet on my foot rest and let the rest of the board rest against my knee while carrying it.