Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wounded Warrior Project

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    QV, I believe that Deadeye has first hand experience with this program.
    Thanks FO, I did find that and a few other related threads at the bottom of the page here. Thanks for pointing it out.

We have groups of wounded warriors come here to scuba, and they do an annual bike ride from Key Largo to Key West. The community treats them very, very well.

http://www.keysnet.com/diving/story/148954.html
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

FO, you are old enough to know that this wasn't always so..and forward-thinking enough to know it won't stay this way indefinitely. Can't afford to start a discussion about that just now, just sayin'.

The scuba diving gig looks great for all involved, thanks for posting, maybe it will attract more veterans your way.

From http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7684

My first Soldier Ride event this year was the 4th annual Sunshine State Challenge which starts in Miami. This is one of the more popular events as Florida is obviously a great place to be in January! The ride starts in South Beach, traveling through the Florida Keys, and ends in Key West a couple of days later. I hooked up with the riders on the second day as they rode throughout the middle keys.

Former pro cyclist Saul Raisin leads out the Soldier Ride in the Florida Keys.

Saul Raisin led out the Keys ride through the city of Marathon. Saul suffers from the same disability that is a common injury among Wounded Warriors. Saul lives with Traumatic Brain Injury, or TBI, as a result of a horrific crash sustained while racing in Europe. It’s estimated that TBI accounts for almost 25 percent of combat casualties suffered by US Forces in the Global war on Terror – nearly 5000 service members!

The riders enjoy a well deserved rest stop at the Disabled American Veterans post.

The day’s rest stop was held at the local DAV (Disabled American Veterans) post where the warriors were greeted by a huge cheering crowd. They were then treated to a welcoming ceremony by the local American Legion Color Guard. A nice lunch was donated and served by the Veterans Council and many other local volunteers. Donations from local fund raising events were also announced and distributed at the stop. The local organizations and citizens of the Florida Keys certainly went all out to support the Warriors of the Soldier Ride. The day finished with a beautiful ride across the famous seven mile bridge. Before the warriors headed home on Sunday, Key West’s most famous resident, Jimmy Buffett stopped by to say hello and treat the riders to breakfast.

Captain Jonathan Pruden (US Army) and SSG Mike Fradera (US Army retired) reflect on the day's ride.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

QV, they do assorted events/activities, but my experience with them has been limited to shooting and hunting events as we've had groups from Walter Reed down to Virginia several times. Always a great group of soldiers, and always very appreciative of our efforts. In talking with them, they've taken some pretty exciting and pricey excursions; hunting trips out west or Africa, fishing trips up to CO, MT, Alaska, you name it.

I was talking with a double-amputee on a hunting trip in SC and he actually said he was afraid to answer his phone for fear that someone would want to take him off again somewhere around the world hunting or fishing. Now that's a terrible problem to have
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Thanks DeadEye, I saw your thread about WWP and remembered commenting on it at that time. Those guys, and the ones in FO's post seem pretty well taken care of, relatively speaking. While I appreciate that, I feel the more needy are out of the spotlight; for any range of reasons, from not having family help to veterans in nursing homes, young and old. Just thinkin'.

I sometimes take socks and underwear to the homeless outreach center here. It is not much, but they really like to get them. they hand them out at the stand downs we have every few months. It is very personal giving, but hey everything is appreciated.

Let's not forget toys for tots. This year is going to be very hard on families with kids I fear. The marine corps does a fine job with this charity.
    Last edited by skippy13; 11-16-2009 at 08:58 AM.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Thanks DeadEye, I saw your thread about WWP and remembered commenting on it at that time. Those guys, and the ones in FO's post seem pretty well taken care of, relatively speaking. While I appreciate that, I feel the more needy are out of the spotlight; for any range of reasons, from not having family help to veterans in nursing homes, young and old. Just thinkin'.
    I agree wholeheartedly. And this is in no way a slam against any of our dedicated service members who have made huge sacrifices for us and our freedom. BUT, they do, for the most part, get taken care of. Sure, some better than others, but the disabled population that I try to reach out to, and do NOT want to be left out is(merely an example) the 23 y/o construction worker/painter/carpenter that doesn't have insurance and falls off the roof/wrecks his car/whatever, has no insurance, girlfriend leaves him after the accident, he moves into his parents basement...and there he sits. These are the ones that I make every effort to reach and impact their lives.

Yes, we love having our veterans/Wounded Warriors involved in our program and they're welcome at them all, but the guy I referenced above does not have a voice or organization speaking out for him, and often falls through the cracks and is left out. The very one that needs help the most.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    The very one that needs help the most.
    There ya go.

Those who can tell a positive story and market it effectively will always get more juice than the hidden and difficult to fix. Everybody is eager to be part of a "winning" effort with a "happy" ending.

Nobody wants to get muddy putting their shoulder to the wheel of a wagon that seems hopelessly stuck.

Unfortunate, but the painful truth. We need better story tellers for those whose stories aren't being heard enough.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 11-19-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    Foolish