Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wounded Warrior Project

Wounded Warrior Project

Any with firsthand experience with this group? Looking to support a most effective organization (along with PVA).

Thanks in advance.

quadvet

I have some experience with them. WWP was one of the first organizations I came into contact with while at Walter Reed. The supply all wounded or injured soldiers with a care bag that contains some of the essentials and a few care items to include: underware, sweatshirt, shorts, shower items, CD player, etc. Mostly things you don't have after being evacuated out of theater.

What they are most known for is getting wounded and injured back into sports and back into society through adaptive sports to include bicycles, skiing, fishing, running, rock climbing, etc.

One big event they sponsor is Soldier Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by 6GunCobra View Post
    What they are most known for is getting wounded and injured back into sports and back into society through adaptive sports to include bicycles, skiing, fishing, running, rock climbing, etc.
    That is a very good thing to do. How big is this? Is it funded properly? Is it organisational wise funded (voluntarily funded), or state funded or federal funded? And do they get enough funding for these good programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    That is a very good thing to do. How big is this? Is it funded properly? Is it organisational wise funded (voluntarily funded), or state funded or federal funded? And do they get enough funding for these good programs.

Leif, there is never enough funding for the good programs. Like any other program like this they could always use more donations.

Thanks for the tip quadvet.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    Leif, there is never enough funding for the good programs. Like any other program like this they could always use more donations.

Thanks for the tip quadvet.
    skippy13. Thanks for reply, and sure there are not enough funding for any good programs. But I was thinking how’s about you where doing it over there now with all the campaigns you are involved in with so many soldiers. Like my country don’t have tens of thousands of soldiers serving at one time we have had a few in different operations and also peace serving campaigns, for some decades, so it adds up with service men and woman’s over time, and like we all know some of our servicemen also got problems, either physically or other problems, so more could be done. Like here – it is the military, directly under government funding who takes care of short time or long time problems, thus the public will now know or to better be in a positions to aid, in comparison say to the US PVA, but US and PVA is clear, since you have so many. Still the core questing is the same, to better get direct funding for any activities by groups helping that could aid and help for the ones wanting such.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    They started out Grass Roots and are now very big. I do believe all their funding is from private donations and fundraisers. Here is their website:

www.WoundedWarriorProject.org
    Last edited by 6GunCobra; 11-14-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Wounded Warrior Project

Very impressive organization from what I understand. The peer mentoring component is something we know works.

Thank you 6GC.

Thanks for the responses, and for sharing your experience, 6GunCobra.
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    there is never enough funding for the good programs. Like any other program like this they could always use more donations.
    Good point, Skippy. I'll put it to him that way (should have mentioned it's a question from my neighbor, who also happens to be a Viet Nam veteran.

I'm remembering now there was a shakeup of the many veterans groups here awhile ago, I'll have to revisit that, also.

Thanks again. Any other comments welcomed.

QV, I believe that Deadeye has first hand experience with this program.
    Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Thanks for the responses, and for sharing your experience, 6GunCobra. Good point, Skippy. I'll put it to him that way (should have mentioned it's a question from my neighbor, who also happens to be a Viet Nam veteran.

I'm remembering now there was a shakeup of the many veterans groups here awhile ago, I'll have to revisit that, also.

Thanks again. Any other comments welcomed.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg