Thread: Need help for cardio

Need help for cardio

Hello,

I have been injured T-8/9 complete for almost exactly one year. I am 38 and was pretty athletic before my accident. I hit it hard on the weights during rehab and up until about 3 months ago. Now i am off not really doing anything.

I hate my wheelchair belly!!! I try to hide it all the time.

What do I do for cardio...
    What should I be looking at for a diet..
    What about protein intake..
    I am more interested in loosing my gut that building big muscles..

I just dont understand how my gut will go down, it just seems impossible being in a chair...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

hv1987

My suggestion would be arm ergometers. This could be handcycling outdoors or an arm ergometer machine indoors. You can bring your heart rate to anaerobic thresholds with these and burn calories. This is more important that lifting weights.
    Then you have to count calories which is hard to do because before our injury we could burn more calories. Cut out all starch and alcohol. And try to spend over 10 hours a week on an arm ergometer. That should help your gut go down. Some of the gut thing is that your abdominal muscles are weak too - but as your pects and lats and biceps and triceps and delts get bigger from arm ergometry, the gut will seem smaller too. Plus big time dietary discipline.
    Good luck !

Yup what arn said and back off carbs and up protein, minimum 1 gram per lb of body weight. Its real important to keep your butt meat healthy/. Use protein shakes to help, noone eats well rounded enough these days.

And if u have no abs u will always have some gut.

Look at vitaglides too
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Cut out all starch and alcohol.
    This is key! I am a prime example that if you don't cut this crap out you'll be fat!

January first, I'm getting onto a plan! YOU guys and girls here have really really inspired me and I WILL lose weight, thanks to the information here!

Until then......
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

My level of injury is T7-T8 and I know exactly what your going through.
    Cardio is great of course; but I've learned that if you apply or utilize your core during all excercise activities, it goes a long way in tightening your stomach muscles. After my injury my abs seemed to turn to mush.
    I have lost about 3 inches of my waist.

Buy a handcycle and Vitaglide. Get into the gym with a qualified trainer to help you maintain the proper form as you workout. Also get into sports, any sport just get active.

Great thanks for all the info. I have a Easy stand 6000 glider, will that work as well, i have not used it much as it is kind of a pain to get in and out of. Right now my eating habits are pretty much like this, nothing for breakfast, little for lunch and then a big dinner around 8:00 p.m.....i dont eat much of course because i think the less i eat the less i will weigh, which i know is stupid but even with small amounts of food i feel bloated.....give me an idea what you guys eat in a typical day,,,,,i do not drink alchohol of any kind..but i hit the pop pretty heavy...thanks for more the help i really appreciate it!!!

I don't know how big you are, how much you weigh or what. But try this - 1500 calories a day. Divide it into 6 equal size meals. No carbs, soda, booze, junk. 1 gram of protein per lean body weight. So if you weight 180 but SHOULD weigh 150, use 150 to calculate how much protein. Get protein from - chicken breasts, lean meat like pork loin. Non fat cottage cheese, non fat yogurt, non fat milk or smoothies with protein powder which can be soy or whey. Eat fruit, veggies, meat, and non fat dairy.
    Your eating the opposite of what is generally recommended. Eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch , and a pauper at dinner - meaning that breakfast should be substantial and then eat less later. But the real way to do it is 6 meals each 250 calories. Another useful technique is not eating anything after 7 pm.
    Now for exercise. Do weights, do aerobics - a lot. This will burn calories. It is hard to burn calories as a gimp. Got to use your arms which were not really intended for repetitive movement. Got to save those arms for your 50's, 60's, and 70's. But you still have to do it.
    Good luck !

That is great info..exactly what i needed to know. looks like i have my work cut out for me but gotta do it!! i have 3 young kids who need their daddy to coach all their sports!!!! thanks again!!