Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Potato Salad recipe?

Good Potato Salad recipe?

Hi,
    I on a quest to find an awesome potato salad recipe to take to a pot luck dinner tomorrow night. I was uninspired by the limp looking stuff at my neighbourhood deli. Does anybody have a good one?

Thanks in advance.

Just don't google hot german potato salad...you will get some really freaky websites!
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

My mom pours italian salad dressing on the hot potatoes. After they cool, she adds celery, onion and just enough mayo to stick it together.

The ital dressing makes it a little zippier.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I don't like egg in mine (I'm weird I know) ... so David and I would make it the usual way ... boil cut and peeled potatoes .... let them cool in the refrigerator ... salt and pepper ... mayo ... bits of fresh crumbled bacon and sliced green olives with the pimento removed! It's very good ... then a sprinkle of paprika over the top.

He always wanted to put sliced green onions in there but I never let him. Blech!

Kind of a twist on the german .. without its oily disgustingness. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I don't like egg in mine (I'm weird I know) ... so David and I would make it the usual way ... boil cut and peeled potatoes .... let them cool in the refrigerator ... salt and pepper ... mayo ... bits of fresh crumbled bacon and sliced green olives with the pimento removed! It's very good ... then a sprinkle of paprika over the top.

He always wanted to put sliced green onions in there but I never let him. Blech!

Kind of a twist on the german .. without its oily disgustingness. lol
    I never even heard of the german variety before this thread lol.

I am not a big fan of egg in my potato salad either. Now see I would go "blech" about olives and would rather have green onions in mine. Olives are on my very short list of foods I can't stand lol. I never thought about putting bacon in before. That sounds yummy.

Well then bacon and green onions would be good to some.

My niece used to hate olives and called them 'eyeballs'. A friend I used to live with said they tasted like garbage .. took me a while to get over that one because they 'do' have that ... garbage room smell. LOL But I still love'em!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    Just don't google hot german potato salad...you will get some really freaky websites!
    Having somebody tell me not to do something always has the opposite effect of encouraging me to rush out and do whatever it is I was just told not too. So upon reading your message, I immediately googled "hot German potato salad" lol.

Wow. A whole world of potato salad I never knew about lol. A lot of the recipes reminded of the oil drenched dishes my Ukrainian grandmother used to serve. I think my arteries clogged just looking at the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Well then bacon and green onions would be good to some.

My niece used to hate olives and called them 'eyeballs'. A friend I used to live with said they tasted like garbage .. took me a while to get over that one because they 'do' have that ... garbage room smell. LOL But I still love'em!
    I have tried to be more tolerant of olives since discovering they come in many more varieties than the horrible green pimento kind in the tall skinny jar that my dad has eaten by the caseful as long as I can remember. I got adventurous and ate some feta stuffed ones a few weeks ago. And they were not too bad. But last night we had a greek pizza for dinner and my dislike of olives returned. I had to have them picked off for me (forgot to specify before ordering). My cat then scarfed them down off the plate when nobody was looking lol. He's weird.

Do you use a particular type of potato in your salad? I am wondering if little baby potatoes would make a difference in taste. Or, because I am currently obsessed with sweet potatoes, I wonder if a person could make salad out of them.

This is the one I make - I do like eggs in it:

Potato Salad

Salad

6 eggs (older eggs are easier to peel than fresh)
    4-5 large redskin potatoes (or baby redskins are even better)
    1/2 med red onion (or white, green or chives), diced
    3 large celery ribs, diced
    sweet pickles, chopped
    paprika (for garnish)

Dressing

1 cup Miracle Whip (light is fine)
    1/4 cup half and half cream (or milk)
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp grainy brown mustard (or more if desired)
    1/4 cup sugar (maybe less, to taste)

Hard-boil eggs:
    1 Place eggs in a small pan with enough water to cover by 1 inch, and place over medium-high heat. When water comes to a boil, turn down heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
    2 Drain, and place in a bowl with cold water to cover; chill.
    3 When cold, peel eggs. Dice five. Slice the remaining egg into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and set aside for garnish.

Dressing:
    1 Thin miracle whip with milk or cream.
    2 Add vinegar and mustard.
    3 Add sugar gradually, to taste.

Prepare Potatoes:
    1 Place potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover by several inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, add 1 tablespoon salt, and lower to a gentle boil. Cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 25 minutes. Drain into a colander.
    2 Cut into 1-inch dice while still hot.

Assemble, chill, and garnish:
    1 Toss dressing with warm potatoes.
    2 Add remainder of ingredients except paprika and sliced hard-boiled eggs.
    3 Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
    4 Garnish with paprika and reserved hard-boiled egg rounds. Cooking

Tips
    Original recipe said 3 large potatoes, and peeled them after cooking.
    Being lazy, I used pickle relish instead of pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    My mom pours italian salad dressing on the hot potatoes. After they cool, she adds celery, onion and just enough mayo to stick it together.

The ital dressing makes it a little zippier.
    Italian dressing sounds good. I like that suggestion. It does tend to zip things up quite nicely (and easily) I find.