Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: GLEE --Anyone See It tonight?

Finale reactions?

I loved it! New Dimensions sang better than Vocal Adrenaline, but VA's overall performance was better. (I'm assuming they did additional numbers that we weren't shown.)

Bonus: I now loathe Shelby more.

(And I don't care if Lea's a diva! )
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I liked the way they morphed the song into the birth ..... but come on guys! Her water broke, she had the baby and the club made it back in time for the awards?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

i thought it was predictable but still dont care. the show rocks
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Glee returns Tuesday. Anyone else excited?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

ME!!!!

loved it the music was great.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by BJH View Post
    Anyone else notice that he had anti-tippers some times and not others. I guess the "stunt wheeler" didn't need them.
    YES

Bumping up an old thread here... But I just saw the show/episode for the first time. So I searched Glee so I wouldn't have to make a post.

The other thing that drove me nuts was Artie's positioning in the chair. The exaggerated hip one way knees another way thing. I'm sure it was done on purpose to try and make his legs look paralyzed, I've seen similar in movies... But it makes it look LESS realistic to me! That sort of positioning without a reason (scoliosis) would CAUSE secondary problems (SCOLIOSIS!). Sigh, I guess its the same as House's cane use.

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    Um, yes, it does matter. There's something terribly wrong when producers believe there isn't one real paraplegic anywhere who's qualified to play a character who is paraplegic!
    I don't think its the same thing at all. Choosing an actor for a part, is about choosing the BEST actor for the part. When it comes to portraying disabled individuals on tv, do we want them portrayed as JUST disabled? Or as the disability merely a portion of the person they are? Me, personally, I want it to be just a portion of what they are. In which case, a non disabled actor may be the best actor to play that character. Yes, a disabled actor would be the best actor to play that DISABILITY, but I don't want to see it stopping there.

I want to see more disabled actors on tv. I've watched episodes of a british soap opera (coronation street) just to see the disabled actress (with my disability!) in a wheelchair. And I LOVE that the disability is not what the character is about. So I want to see more, I want there to be parts out there, but disabled parts for disabled actors isn't what I want. What I want is characters who just happen to be disabled. And in that genre I'm good with BOTH able bodied actors playing disabled parts, AND WHAT I HOPE TO SEE EVOLVE FROM THAT in characters who go to a disabled actor because the disabled actor plays that character best (without a disability prewritten in)

And you can compare that to race and I'll feel the same. I want to see characters and no one being excluded from auditioning and the best PERSON, not race or disability, getting the part. Unless someones race or disability has a huge part in the pilot episode there's no need to cast specifically for that. I think many shows do this already when it comes to race. I don't think its going to happen overnight when it comes to disability. Getting more characters who just happen to have a disability is a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    Watch the show, Private Practice on Thursdays after Gray's Anatomy. Michael Patrick Thornton plays a researche, Dr. Gabriel Fife who is a quad.
    Love him! I follow him on facebook. I'd love to go to his theatre in Chicago. I'm so mad they used his character for Naomi's exit, because now he can't come back!
    Last edited by ~Lin; 02-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Sigh, I guess its the same as House's cane use.
    I assume you mean that he uses the cane with the wrong hand.. To be fair, this was addressed in an episode (tho may r only after people complained/pointed it out). They comment that he had some kind of shoulder problem because he was too stubborn to use the cane as recommended.

I don't think its the same thing at all. Choosing an actor for a part, is about choosing the BEST actor for the part.
    I know you say more about this which I can agree with (making disability less of a primary facet of characters, etc.) but I can't help but liken the current state of things to black face in vaudeville times or Asians or American Indians played by whites until very recently. People with disabilities, like it or not, generally have less stamina for long work hours and are more prone to health issues affecting work. There also is still prejudice and some social stigma about being disabled. To me, it would be a great day if ADA (in the US) were truly enforced in cases like this. In cases where a physical disability IS a main part of a character, they should consider "us" first just as casting a tall character or a little person. Who knows better how to portray a wheelchair user for example than a person who lives it.
    -Dusty

---C5-incomplete "walking quad", Dec.28,2005---

Quote Originally Posted by CrassPip View Post
    I know you say more about this which I can agree with (making disability less of a primary facet of characters, etc.) but I can't help but liken the current state of things to black face in vaudeville times or Asians or American Indians played by whites until very recently. People with disabilities, like it or not, generally have less stamina for long work hours and are more prone to health issues affecting work. There also is still prejudice and some social stigma about being disabled. To me, it would be a great day if ADA (in the US) were truly enforced in cases like this. In cases where a physical disability IS a main part of a character, they should consider "us" first just as casting a tall character or a little person. Who knows better how to portray a wheelchair user for example than a person who lives it.
    And you can compare that to race and I'll feel the same. I want to see characters and no one being excluded from auditioning and the best PERSON, not race or disability, getting the part. Unless someones race or disability has a huge part in the pilot episode there's no need to cast specifically for that. I think many shows do this already when it comes to race. I don't think its going to happen overnight when it comes to disability. Getting more characters who just happen to have a disability is a step in the right direction.
    Liken it to race, and I still disagree that the problem is ab actors playing disabled parts is and the lack of equality in auditions for characters. Yes, a disabled person can play a disabled person best. Like my rant about how they have artie posed in the wheelchair. But if parts were written about who the people are and not the race they are or the disability they have, more disabled actors would be working and I think that would help the portrayal if they have a character in a wheelchair. In some situations, a character becomes injured after so many seasons and ends up in a wheelchair. True to life, and you can't suddenly swap out the actor for a disabled one. People don't change race, but racial issues can be on tv from the actors chosen for the characters. As I said, unless a racial or disability issue is in the pilot episode, I see no reason to cast specifically for that. HOWEVER, due to the lack of disabled characters on screen, I think having ab actors play disabled characters is a step in the direction of opening up parts that were not written about disabilities to disabled actors.

In race, I think we finally see actors cast without prejudice. The creator of Greys Anatomy pictured the character of Miranda Bailey as a tall blond haired Caucasian woman. Then Chandra Wilson read for the part, and WAS Miranda Bailey. This is what I want to see.

If someones goal is to get more disabled actors on screen with realistic disabilities, thats a different goal than mine and we won't agree no matter what. My goal is for disability to not matter so much and be only a part of the overal person, with characters being based on what actor best embodies the character. There will always be stereotypical characters out there such as races that can only be portrayed by who is that race. I do want to see disabled actors for specialized parts like that, and Glee did so with the quad playing a quad. I see the big problem as the overall casting of characters, not races or disabilities.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

If someones goal is to get more disabled actors on screen with realistic disabilities, thats a different goal than mine and we won't agree no matter what. My goal is for disability to not matter so much and be only a part of the overal person, with characters being based on what actor best embodies the character. There will always be stereotypical characters out there such as races that can only be portrayed by who is that race. I do want to see disabled actors for specialized parts like that, and Glee did so with the quad playing a quad. I see the big problem as the overall casting of characters, not races or disabilities.
    We don't disagree. I think both are admirable goals. Of the two, however, it bugs me more that people with disabilities are not hired for "our" parts. From my experience the last 6 years, I really think it's more about prejudice than lack of qualified candidates, just like white guys playing Det Charlie Chan for decades.
    -Dusty

---C5-incomplete "walking quad", Dec.28,2005---