View Poll Results: Keurig, Tassimo, Another Brand or meh?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tassimo

10 29.41%
  • Keurig

16 47.06%
  • Meh!?

8 23.53%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: This is for Mr Coffee:

i don't know about the chai lattes and that but the hot chocolate is yums :yum:

the liquid disks sounds pretty sweet to me for the tassimo, but i'd have to try both of them to see which i like better since i've only had exposure (limited, at that...they didn't have much to choose from at the waiting room) to the keurig. i love both of the names though! is the keurig german?
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

we have a commercial keurig that I managed to pick up for next to nothing at Goodwill...YEAH!!! and have been thoroughly pleased with it!!! YEAH!!! it has a water-line hook up which is a mega huge bonus over having to fill the resoivoir
    Another plus of the Keurig over the Tassimo is that you can buy a filter & use your own coffee...Good for my family whom is can't always afford to purchase the K-cups...a $15 gold reusable filter is a huge blessing!!!
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I was going to get the Tassimo as a gift a couple years ago, but I thought the single serve was too small, and given that it goes into a single cup size, I'd assume it would mainly fit ceramic or glass type cups?
    How many Oz. per cup/disk?
    What cups/mugs do you guys use to prevent the cup from getting hot?

Cali, if this gets too hot, I'd think a coffeemaker would be easier, since you can pour the decanter into a heatproof or insulated cup? The main thing is getting a decanter with the right handle/design and using a a pad or towel to guard against hand if necessary. If the pot is next to the sink, you can just put your cup in the sink and pour the coffee without lifting the pot.

I'm not much into instant coffee's, but am curious how these instant disks taste like.
    OJ, do the starbucks disk taste anything like their new VIA instant?

Broknwing, the cost was also a consideration for me, and given I always drink more than a single cup per, it didn't seem worth the bang for the buck. The options for direct water line and using your own filter/coffee are good, but do they still only make/release single size servings?

But, I'm still interested in trying it out, particularly for the teas and cocoa's (btw, do they have non-fat or low-sugar options?).

This is definitely what all waiting rooms should have!

Lynnifer, depending on cost, I might lean toward an espresso maker.
    Last edited by chick; 11-10-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Chick,

The coffee is great I think, I think trench press is the only thing that tastes better imo compared to these. I just don't fill up the cup all the way up to the top or if it does I will just dump some out and carry in inbetween my legs! dangerous but I go slow. If i'm going to work I'll just use one of those nice portable coffee mugs and they reduce the heat all together usually.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

The press can make some good coffee too. I haven't used that much, as my coffeemaker is much simpler. Careful with that lap, mr_!

I just remembered, that there are double walled mugs to keep cold drinks from getting wet from condensation, so these types can be used for hot drinks as well. Looking at the accessories for Tassimo, they do sell them Bormioli Mugs

But, doesn't seem to have handles. You can get similar mugs, with handles, cheaper elsewhere though.

Chick-
    On the Keurig you have 3 cup size choices....of course that affects your brew strength a little, but it brews fairly strong anyway...My mom re-uses the cups to make a travel mug size cup of coffee...and some travel mugs fit under the dispenser. So the cups can be used 2x with decent strength...it does help with the cost factor too...it's about 15seconds for a cup of coffee, then you pull the filter out to reset it & another 15 seconds & you've got a travel mug full...so it's really nice for on-the-run. IT's REALLY REALLY hot too...

eta:it's most definitely a brewed process, not powdery disolved instant...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Chick you are right that the Tassimo servings are quite small. Typically about 10 ounces, although some of the drinks might be closer to 8. A few of the coffees come in "travel mug sizes" of 14 to 16 ounces. But with all the disks the machine can be easily adjusted during the brewing cycle to add in more water. In my experience this doesn't degrade the quality of the drink.

As for whether the coffee tastes "instant" I don't think it does. I am not a fan of instant coffee and that was a concern of mine when I first got my machine. Although I don't primarily use my machine for coffee but rather lattes and chai. Which I am addicted to lol. The Tassimo expresso is as good as a better than average expresso machine I used before I got the Tassimo.

I do really like the Starbucks disks. I find I enjoy the disks more than buying Starbucks beans and brewing them. They are nothing at all like the instant via coffee, which I tried last week and didn't really like.

I think its a good point that chelle makes. If a household drinks a lot of coffee, single serve systems aren't really economical. But I still love mine...

o i meant the coffee was hot to drink and took forever to cool down...but i did have a styrofoam coffee cup, so that helped with the heat, and probably took it forever to cool off. i don't run around with my coffee like cory. that would burn like a mo'fo' between the legs from the heat through the cup alone! gah! my body would retaliate and say "get this stuff off me!" then i'd be all coffee colored and angry.

so, for those who tried both machines, what say you? are there any people who have tried both? i didn't know the keurig had a reusable filter thing! that's cool!
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post

so, for those who tried both machines, what say you? are there any people who have tried both? i didn't know the keurig had a reusable filter thing! that's cool!
    I've tried both. I think both machines are very good. And price wise the machines and drink disks/cups are about the same. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

I personally prefer the Tassimo, mostly because of the liquid milk disks as I mostly use mine as a latte and cappucino machine as opposed to a coffee maker. The trade off for that though, is that I would have far more choices if I went with a Keurig, especially when it comes to tea. My current Tassimo has bit the dust and when it comes to replacing it, I did consider going with a Keurig. But the Tassimo lattes ended up winning and I am buying a new Tassimo tomorrow.

There are some other choices out there as well besides these two machines, although I think there are much more specialized and have even less choices than the Tassimo. There is even an entire set of forums dedicated to single serve systems. It's a good place to read reviews of the different machines and drink choices. It's admittedly kind of pathetic, but I hang out there lol. The Tassimo versus Keurig debate is a popular and often discussed topic there.
    http://www.singleservecoffee.com/
    Last edited by orangejello; 11-10-2009 at 10:15 AM.

I use a short travel mug under my Keurig that fits nicely without having to take the drip tray away, but one of the cool things about the Keurig (the only one I know) is that the entire drip tray can be removed to fit a normal sized travel mug under the spout. I have no idea where the name Keurig originated, but they are now wholely owned by Green Mountain Coffee Roasters with just about every other coffee maker also supplying K cups. The list is endless.......Green Mountain, Tully's, Coffee People, Timothy's, just to name a few, along with Celestial Seasoning, Bigelow, and others in the tea ranges. I like my coffee HOT, and the Keurig brews at the recommended 195-200 degree range that is considered optimal.