Thread: Baclofen pump, and Autonomic Dysreflexia

Cool Baclofen pump, and Autonomic Dysreflexia

Hi, was hoping to hear from anyone who's gotten a pump. I'm a C-5, C-6 complete quad with 9 1/2 years under my belt. I recently decided to get a Baclofen pump to get off all the pills. The trial went great for me, and on 10/29/09 I went in for the surgery. It's been a little over a week and I've been getting frequent bouts of Autonomic Dysreflexia, especially at night. Just wondering if anyone else went through this, and how long it lasted for. I feel shittier lately, but I'm sure it's from the trauma of surgery and combo of a fast cutback of oral Baclofen causing withdrawl symptoms. The Dysreflexia scares me though. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks Everyone,
    Casey

I've had that surgery three times now and never had that problem. You may want to go back to your doctor and have it checked out. Tell them what your symptoms are and see what he says. If not go directly to the emergency room next time it happens. That can be very dangerous which I'm sure lots of other people will say eventually.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Did they put you on a pain killer post surgery? You may be getting AD as a pain response from the surgery itself. What's your position when you sleep? Is is possible you're compressing the pump somehow? How does the incision look? Healthy, healing?

They gave me percocet for pain. I sleep on my back with the head of the bed sat up some. There is no drainage, and it appears healing and healthy. I hate the emergency room, every time I've ever gone there with A/D they look at me like I'm crazy and don't really do anything.