Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new c4 incomplete

Question new c4 incomplete

i was tripped in roller hockey just over 3 months ago and had a disloction of the c5/c6 causing a pinch to my spinal cord.

i am in rehab now and i'm classified as a ASIA D incomplete with brown sequard syndrome (bss). My left side is alright but my right side is either fucked or just slow.

right upper extremities
    My right hand has the smallest movement in the index, ring and pinky but no movement with the thumb or middle finger. Right tricep cant go against gravity (2+/3-). bicep, shoulder and wrist extensors work. back and pecs as well

i have trunk control

b/b not working but have the sensation when full.

right lower extremity
    very very weak hip flexor (2), glutes work (butt), quads, calf work but not my shin muscle (dorsi flexors) are a 0 and hamstrings are a 2.

i can walk in the paralell bars and with a walker with a dictus splint. of course its not normal walking, alot of right leg dragging

i know no one can tell me what is to come or wont come but i'm scared shitless being a guy that just turned 22 (while i was in rehab, 2 weeks ago) and played alotta sports.

i feel like my whole life has sort of crumbled and life is frickin hard with one hand (i couldnt imagine with none) but i am grateful that i have atleast my left side.

thank you and i appreciate your time

Welcome to CareCure! As we always say, we are sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did.

We have several members who also have Brown-Sequard type of incomplete injuries. It is very common with this injury to have significant return for up to 2 years or even longer post injury. It is also common to have significant return of bowel and bladder function with an injury like this. So you have some time to learn how to be more functional with what you have, and to also watch for more return, and maximize that with ongoing therapy.

Where are you going for your rehab? How much longer will you be an inpatient? Do you have decent insurance that will allow you to continue a fairly aggressive outpatient therapy program? Do you have involved and supportive family members who can help you through this?

Please come back and continue to ask questions. We care and want to help you with this journey.

(KLD)

Welcome. And no giving up. : )

- K
    C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135

thanks for the reply so fast.

there has been many significant gains in the last 3 months. as i can do so much more.

i live in vancouver canada so all my rehab and medical supplies/equipment is supplied.

i am just wondering my chances of recovering my right hand back as everything is so much harder to do everything but not imposible.

kendrick its me stan! auntiue emily's son at gf strong? small world eh?

sho: So sorry to hear of your accident/injury. It sounds like you are making great progress. My son was injured (T12 ASIA A) last year just before his 18th birthday. I must say that his positive attitude is what gets ALL of us through the rough days. Welcome to CC you will find tons of infomation and answers to your questions here.

Keep on keeping on!
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Quote Originally Posted by sho View Post
    kendrick its me stan! auntiue emily's son at gf strong? small world eh?
    Stanley,

Happy Belated Birthday. Keep the progress coming and glad you are able to get online now. I hope your haven't changed your mind about walking one day as your goal.

- K

Stan, this is pretty good reading for this morning:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/11/adv...inal-cord.html

They say every injury is different. I didn't know what brown-sequard syndrome was until I went home from rehab and started reading up on the web, and then asked my rehab doc in an outpatient visit. User Gvinton is the first person I'd read about who had an injury similar to mine.

Upon discharge the diagnosis was C4 incomplete tetraplegia with foot drop, also ASIA D, but it was my left side that was weakened. My b & b apparently was not affected, though I was on a foley catheter for about three weeks post-injury. It took some time to be able to walk without the AFO and forearm crutches .. I went out every day. I had a substantial amount of return, for which I am grateful, and I worked as hard as I could to capitalize on it, with the help of some great PT's and OT's.

Good luck and don't give up !

me walking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8L_yV8Gy0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojw08VeEK_g

me walking with dictus splint (prevent drop foot on right foot) and walker 3.5 months post injury..