Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I have H1N1

Red face I think I have H1N1

Have had symptoms for approx 24-36 hours. Running a temp of 103. Dry cough, aches, chills, HA.... Anyway... I started Tamiflu tonight (If you start it within 48 hours of symptoms that's good).
    I had the regular flu vaccine shot about 30 days ago. I'm a heallthcare worker in Colorado and there is little chance of getting the H1N1 shot...Anyway..it's too late.
    My hubby shows no symptoms but is at high risk... so... I think I will start him on Tamiflu prophylactically.
    What do you think?

Oy vey Sieg ....... well .... on the upside you can quit worrying about getting it ... cause ... well .... you got it ..... !

Is it too late for Don to get the shot??? Is it even available to him?? The tamiflu is probably a good idea !!

I know how lame this is going to sound but ..... but my advice is just to treat it like you would any other flu .... rest - fluids- as good a nutrition as you can get into you - extra Vit D (for hubby too) - cool baths for the fever (maybe some icecream ) meds for the aches and pains - this too shall pass !!

Maybe KLD has more words of wisdom .... sorry you're having to deal with this ... but it will soon be behind you and you won't have to worry 'bout dis any more !!

Feel better soon {{{hug}}}

Obie
    Last edited by Obieone; 11-06-2009 at 11:25 PM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

My 15 year old son had N1H1 confirmed3 weeks ago. Symptoms were not too bad. Like regular flu but they just hung around a while. He missed a whole week of school. Only two days of feeling really bad not getting out of bed. Rest of the time just battled a low fever. I lucked out and didn't get it. He went back to school 2 weeks ago. I have had regular flu shot and pneumonia shot but not N1H1. Good luck!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Call his doctor and see if you can get him Tamiflu. While he should still get the H1N1 vaccine as soon as possible, even if he got it today, it takes 10-14 days to develop full effects, so it would not help with an exposure that has already occurred.

We had a physician come back to work too soon after having H1N1 (within 7 days after end of fever and symptoms) and once our infection control people found out they advised us to offer Tamiflu to those patients and staff she had contact with over the last two days (she came back to work yesterday). We spent a good amount of time today tracking down both inpatients and outpatients with whom she has had contact to arrange this. Fortunately our direct care staff started getting their shots early last week, so many do not need to take the Tamiflu. We still do not have enough vaccine for patients though.

(KLD)

Thanks guys...

I started Tamiflu yesterday and am on my second day of the med. I had 2 boxes of Tamiflu at home (thanks to Henry Schein) and started Don on a prophylactic regimen yesterday. I already feel better... I know I have the flu and I am wearing my N95 respirator and OCD washing of hands and have isolated myself. Tamiflu really works to lessen the severity... I can at least get out of bed now.
    Obie... if it's not one thing it's another! Colorado must be way down on the government's list as the H1Ni vaccine is almost non-existent here. I am taking it easy.

Hope you feel better soon, Sieg.

Best wishes in getting better ergvepeog. It must be a bitch.

ME, are you feeling better these days? I know you were hit pretty hard, too. Hope all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ergvepeog View Post
    Thanks guys...

I started Tamiflu yesterday and am on my second day of the med. I had 2 boxes of Tamiflu at home (thanks to Henry Schein) and started Don on a prophylactic regimen yesterday. I already feel better... I know I have the flu and I am wearing my N95 respirator and OCD washing of hands and have isolated myself. Tamiflu really works to lessen the severity... I can at least get out of bed now.
    Obie... if it's not one thing it's another! Colorado must be way down on the government's list as the H1Ni vaccine is almost non-existent here. I am taking it easy.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    ME, are you feeling better these days? I know you were hit pretty hard, too. Hope all is well.
    Better here day by day. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    Better here day by day. Thanks.
    It's good to read this Mem. You had been putting up with it for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by keps View Post
    It's good to read this Mem. You had been putting up with it for quite a while.
    Thanks, K. Seems I missed most of October.

Let's hope Sieg is better soon and sooner and Don does not get it, too.