Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting to be that time - Chili

Wow that's different. Sounds very interesting - peanut butter and chocolate. Heck, I like peanut butter cups, so why not...

Seriously, that probably gives a very interesting flavor - chocolate is used in Mexican sauces, and I've used peanut butter in African and Thai dishes - they aren't just for desserts.

I too add a bit of cocoism. Never tried peanutbutter. I will try it.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    My chili recipe;

Drive to Wendy's......p.s. crack your window open a little in case of gas.
    Love It!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Ah, a few mushrooms never hurt anyone. I never used to add them, but my husband likes them.

Who is he? I'm gonna tell...
    Oh yeah, I absolutely love mushrooms and they were good in the chili, I had just never heard of them in chili!! Even though I liked his chili and the shrooms, I'll save them for sketti sauce and to stuff with crab meat!
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

My "bachelor" chili recipe. "Quick & dirty" is programmer lingo for a piece of code done in a hurry that ain't too pretty but gets the job done. I put this in a company cook book at an insurance company where I used to work.

Quick & Dirty Chili Beans

1 lb ground chuck
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 regular size can diced tomatoes
    1 16 oz can pinto beans
    1 can Green Giant "shoepeg" corn (optional; adds crunch & a little sweetness)
    1 package French's Chili-o mix
    1 handful dirt
    1 tsp salt or to taste

brown ground beef, onion, bell pepper together
    add tomatoes, chili mix, beans, and corn
    add water if too thick, simmer 30-40 mins
    throw dirt away, wash hands

I got the corn idea from my aunt's "tamale casserole", a similar mixture minus beans with a layer of cornbread baked on top. Also a nice cool weather dish.

Dumb question - what's the difference between ground chuck and regular ground beef? Are they interchangeable?

Ground chuck is a type of ground beef - made from the parts of the cow known as chuck.

The only big significance is the amount of fat. For things such as chili, you don't really want to get something expensive and low-fat like ground sirloin or something - ground chuck works perfectly. Or any reasonable ground beef.

The fattier the beef, of course, the more fat it will release when browning. But you just drain that off - if you really don't like fat and/or there's a lot, you can rinse the browned beef with very hot water and then drain, it removes the fat very well.

FAT = FLAVOR!

Chuck comes from the shoulder and is generally once ground equal to 80/20 fat to meat ratio, depending on how it is trimmed.

'Ground Beef' comes from the shoulder, as well as ALL other meat trimmings from various cuts......with ground beef you may have brisket trimming mixed with round, sirloin, etc.

So, either way as long as the meat to fat ratio is 80/20, you're good to go as far as flavor and moisture go. Brown the meat and drain off most of the excess fat, but leave some in the chili. Again, 'Fat = Flavor'.

If you have the option, ask for Ground Chuck or buy a chuck roast and ask for it to be ground, this way you know exactly what you have.
    Larry
    ------

Well yes - but too much fat floating on the top is icky.

Actually, it seems to me like you get the flavor as long as the fat was in the meat to begin with, even if you drain it or even use hot water after browning. Whereas, if you start with ground sirloin, it doesn't get the flavor. Do you agree?

I'm trying to think logically why it seems to work this way...

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Well yes - but too much fat floating on the top is icky.

Actually, it seems to me like you get the flavor as long as the fat was in the meat to begin with, even if you drain it or even use hot water after browning. Whereas, if you start with ground sirloin, it doesn't get the flavor. Do you agree?

I'm trying to think logically why it seems to work this way...
    Oh yeah, I agree. I also agree that with alot of fat floating on top is 'icky'. However, you need some fat.........if you brown the 'chuck' or 'ground meat', then rinse it, you might as well of started off with sirloin or round. By rinsing you're getting rid of the fat, but also alot of flavor and moisture.
    Larry
    ------