Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: automated homes

automated homes

went to a friends house last night that has an automation setup that is unreal. All he has to do is call out its name and she replies. We had lights and tvs turning on and off all over the house. It has a video feed from the outside so that if something moves a screen pops up on tv to show him something is happening outside. Everthing but flushing the toilet is tied into this.

I can control lights, thermostats and anything that can interface with X-10 from a touch screen next to my bed. It also has a timer to automate lights on and off throughout the house and macros to activate preset sequences.

A better pic:

There's also a control panel in my back closet that houses a security system, phone & TV distribution, home network (DSL modem, router and 8 port switch) and a video modulator that distributes satellite and front entry security camera to each TV in the house. I can also control and access everything from my PC even over the internet. It's pretty cool.

Brad, I think you get my vote for having the best mods and controls to sort out everything in your life.

Add your van to your house and you are starting a miniNASA.

AO
    ps Do you organise everything yourself or is there one company that comes in, sets up your pc, security, lights etc etc all in one single installation?

-------
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid occasionally, but some people abuse the privilege.

AO...Thanks.

Do you organize everything yourself or is there one company that comes in, sets up your pc, security, lights etc etc all in one single installation?
    All of the pre-wiring was done when the house was under construction...such as network cabling, security, phone, TV & camera. Most of the light switches in the house are X-10 ready and were installed by the electrician during construction as well.

I for the most part organized everything and set up my PC and all of the other controllers as I'm pretty good at setting up electronics. I had a pretty good idea as to what I wanted in the house. There are companies that will set up entire home automation systems and they can get very expensive depending on what kind of setup you want. The sky is the limit.

Originally posted by Brad_D:

The sky is the limit.
    sky, wallet, whatever. dang dude.

JMU, it's really not that expensive to do most of this stuff. My home was not pre wired, but I do have about a dozen light switches, and all my electronics which can be controlled by computer or RF/IR remote control. I even talked my wife through installing the switches.

I haven't played with X10 for many years. Back then I had trouble with appliances being on different circuits in the house... I live in a old beach house which has undergone more than one rennovation and so the electrics are a bit disjointed.

Anyone have trouble with the new stuff?

oh, cool Carl. You've got a good wife

Brad, my apology for the unstated implication w/ my last comment.

Brad, my apology for the unstated implication w/ my last comment.
    Scott, No problem... apology accepted.

There used to be a simular thing like this called "The Butler" back when I first got hurt in 1988. It was a little over $1,000 THEN, I guess we can say the Butler did it.