Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picture album for a birthday present

Photo scrapbooking is what they are referring to. There are all sorts of that stuff at the craft stores. It can get expensive pretty quick though.

Here's an example of the really fancy stuff

http://www.creativememories.com/Land...er=Traditional

Mona, I stuck to pretty simple. I mixed it up, with sometimes only 1 picture on the page (especially if I decided it was an :important" one, and sometimes several pictures grouped together. I cut some to fit them better. Some pages were themes .... ie all beach pictures. In general I kept it chronological, but in some cases I mixed it up. On a "Beach" page for instance I have pictures of her as a baby, a toddler and then older. I added some writing ..... mostly names and dates, but also some captions. My older daughter had given me a bunch of stickers she had leftover from another project, and I used a few of those, but mostly stayed simple.

If you look in the scrap booking section of Walmart or any craft store, you can see tons of ideas for sprucing up the pages, but the get pricy fast. And the picture is the most important part!!

I like the albums that have a plastic sleeve for the pictures, it protects them better than the "old fashioned" way with just photo corners.

HAve fun! It will be a very special gift.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I just got back from looking at the scrapbook/album section at WalMart!
    Yes I can see it getting expensive fast. lol

So there's several ways I can go about it.

1st do I want an Album or a Scrapbook? or rather what size pages?
    What size is best for fitting the pictures & stuff on? I saw 8 1/2 x 11 paper size, also 12 x 12 & more.

I can buy extra paper, colored etc but do scrapbooks hold more paper than comes with it?

Next putting it together. (fingers, hands don't work)
    I can get the pictures made at Walgreen.
    Then buy everything book, pages, accents.
    Putting it together:
    1. Have my pca do it per my directions.(they'd like to, but work gets behind kwim?)
    2. Have my daughter do it for me, for her daughter. ( she will but she's stretched thin now with her dad dieing)
    3. Put the pictures in the book, in order & give it to my granddaughter with the captions, decorations etc., and let her dress the book up. Maybe we can finish it together when I give it to her.

I get so mad because I loved arts & crafts & wish I could do it all by myself.

I'm working on getting the pictures to Walgreens now.

Thanks Tam63 and Sjean.

You're very welcome.

I recommend the 12 x 12 size - I've done the 8 1/2 x 11, and it's harder to fit stuff and multiple pictures - it's much easier to do multiple pictures per page etc. with the larger page.

Most of the scrapbooks allow for extra pages to be added.

That sounds so frustrating, that you can't do it all yourself. But like you said, you can do the design - maybe have the PCA and her mother and whoever else you can tempt help you - spread out the work. That way you'd have the input into the design of the pages.

Your granddaughter and you could carry it on as a tradition then, if she was interested - add more pages as she gets more pictures.

I agree on the 12 X 12 size. And yes, the books will easily hold 4 times as many pages as they come with, or more.

I like the idea of giving the basics to your g'daughter, and then working on it together. Perhaps work with your pca, or your daughter to do the 1st few pages, so she gets the idea of what the finished project will look like. They could probably find time for that, while time to do the whole book with you would be more difficult. Then the two of you could finish it together. Leave some extra blacnk pages at the end, so that she can add to it.

It would be 2 presents in 1 that way, a gift of time together as well as the book.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Another option, offered at Walgreens and I am sure other places, is to create the entire book on the computer, and then have it printed.

I have never done it, but I suspect it would be good quality.

It looks like they are priced comparably as a regular album, plus pictures would be.

It appears that you upload the pictures, chose where you want them, edit, add captions, borders and backgrounds, and the entire book is printed.

8 1/2 X 11 starts at $19.99 for 20 pages, then $2 more for every 2 pages. (If you went this way, I would use the 8 1/2 by 11, as the 12 X 12 is significantly more expensive, due to printing processes I am sure.)

http://photo1.walgreens.com/storepag...Id=MemoryBooks

Here is how they describe one of the choices

• Size: 8.5" x 11" closed; 8.5" x 22" open
    • Cover:
      • Professionally bound hardcover
      • Features a die-cut window with rounded corners
      • Available in:
        • 16 linen cover colors
        • 5 leather cover colors

• Inside:
      • Available with 20-150 pages
      • Printed on archival-quality, acid-free paper

• Personalization:
      • Include 0-15 photos per page
      • Add photo captions or page titles
      • Edit photos -- pan and zoom, rotate, flip, remove redeye, change tint
      • Change themes, photo borders, and page backgrounds and layouts

Personally, I like to make it myself, but I don;t have issues with my fingers. If it was a case of asking someone else to do what I wanted to do myself, I think I would do one of these.

If I were in your position, my first choice would be doing it together with my granddaughter. Second choice would be these online creations, and 3rd choice would be getting my pca, or daughter to make it for me.

(OH, and I am sure "20" pages, is 10 sheets, front and back.)

eta, I just looked at it, and it appears that you can put together a very attractive album this way, just working on the computer instead of with scissors and glue.
    Last edited by sjean423; 11-05-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Great 12 x 12. I knew it would help to ask and get tips from those who have already done it.

Yes it's really a boomer to know how you want something and to have to rely on others. Most of the time they either can't catch on to what you want or think their way is better. I don't want to be negative here but it can get bad.

I'll start it and get it going good. Then Hanah and I can finish it together. I think it could be a good thing us working on it together. Her mom with 4 kids and Chloe 1 y/o doesn't have time to do things together. We've never done anything together.

Your granddaughter and you could carry it on as a tradition then, if she was interested - add more pages as she gets more pictures.
    It would be 2 presents in 1 that way, a gift of time together as well as the book.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the album. I loved my grandmother's albums as a child. I'd beg for her to get them down and her to sit and talk to me about the family. Most I didn't know. Now it's pull out your phone and pry into a tiny screen and see what they did last week. Even the videos of their games, cheerleading, Chloe being cute all on her phone or Facebook. Plus I can't share them with anyone. She's afraid they'll put them on the internet.

I have hundreds to go through.

THANKS LADIES!

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Another option, offered at Walgreens and I am sure other places, is to create the entire book on the computer, and then have it printed.

I have never done it, but I suspect it would be good quality.

It looks like they are priced comparably as a regular album, plus pictures would be.

It appears that you upload the pictures, chose where you want them, edit, add captions, borders and backgrounds, and the entire book is printed.

8 1/2 X 11 starts at $19.99 for 20 pages, then $2 more for every 2 pages. (If you went this way, I would use the 8 1/2 by 11, as the 12 X 12 is significantly more expensive, due to printing processes I am sure.)

http://photo1.walgreens.com/storepag...Id=MemoryBooks

Here is how they describe one of the choices

Personally, I like to make it myself, but I don;t have issues with my fingers. If it was a case of asking someone else to do what I wanted to do myself, I think I would do one of these.

If I were in your position, my first choice would be doing it together with my granddaughter. Second choice would be these online creations, and 3rd choice would be getting my pca, or daughter to make it for me.

(OH, and I am sure "20" pages, is 10 sheets, front and back.)

eta, I just looked at it, and it appears that you can put together a very attractive album this way, just working on the computer instead of with scissors and glue.

That does sound cool! I'll check it out and see how easy it is to understand. lol We could still add on in the future together. But right now I need to finish picture selection. At least 1st go through because it's getting overwhelming.

I'll let you know. Thanks

The picture selection is the 1st step for doing it either way anyhow.

But I still think doing it w/ your g'daughter would be the best. Print the pictures, and then just get it started enough so she knows what the finished product will be like, and spend time together.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

In picking pictures, sometimes you might even pick some where part of the picture is good - but part not. If you're doing the scrapbooking album, you can always cut out just part of the picture - like a face as a circle for example, eliminating the background.