Thread: Great Rooms

Great Rooms

I'm toying with the idea of taking down my detached garage, moving it all the way back to the back fence ad using the current garage foundation to create a "Great Hall" suitable for entertaining, firing up my way oversized audio system, and displaying some of the art and antiques I'm likely to inherit, then joining the front house, new buildings with weather proof cloister galleries. My house is a later 30's builders Tudor, so such an extension would be in keeping with the way the originals were enlarged in the 1500's

my lot is 75 by 150 feet, so i have plenty of room.

Anyone here done an addition like that?

regards

B

You better be sure that you have a suitable foundation for such a task.
    If it is a slab then in no way is it suitable. Depending on the climate of where this is being built you better go below the frost line or you'll have major problems in the future.

Good luck!!

Hey Bro, wood up!

I'm in Oklahoma. Everything is built on a slab or pier and beam.

What's a frost line ;-)

My master bedroom suite is built where the old garage used to be. I suspect it was a slab. But the bedroom is raised up a bit (or rather the garage would have been down) - so there is airspace between the slab and the floor.

My dining room is where a porch was, slab too I presume - the floor is colder.

I don't know what kind of footings etc. they used - but I would have thought they'd have to do similar for a garage as for a room really.

Of course this would require a permit and code inspection....

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Of course this would require a permit and code inspection....

(KLD)
    errrrr

DUH!

Sounds like your first step will be a good architect who can blend Tudor style with universal design principles. They will worry about code issues and how your climate and terrain impacts the ultimate design and safety of the structure. Do you know someone? If not, I might.

Sounds like a great project! Are you going to hire a general contractor or sub out the work yourself?
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Good luck w/ your project! I love cathedral ceilings in a great room. Sounds like a good reason for a bigger tv!
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime

I've got a contractor, just need to find an architect who will take take my sketches and make something real with them. I have a high pitch roof on the main house, so he could match that without running foul of height codes. The main thing that might have to fit is mom's Federal style dining room furniture consisting of a 9 feet by 9 feet breakfront china, sideboard, 2 dumbwaiters, 3 section banquet table, silver chest, and 12 chairs.

Can you say HUUUUUGE?

Oh and thats not counting the other Country Federal china cabinet.

Yes folks, I come from one of THOSE families ;-)

Thanks!

here is an example or two, albeit on a far larger scale.

Eltham was the boyhood home of Henry the 8th, the Great hall pictured here dates from Edward the 4th. Penhurst has two Halls, the Barons Hall in the center, built by Edward the 2nd, and the lesser hall, dating from Henry the 7th

Houses were added on to as needed, similar to the New England "Big House, Little house, kitchen, dairy, barn " type farmhouses, so rather than a unified facade you got a series of "ranges". with gatehouses at various points.