Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sick of being paralyzed, more sick of pain

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    cass i dont know what meds you have tried, maybe hang out more ib the pain forum.
    i haven't been there as much but i have meds now that manage my pain. side effects are the problem for me no
    you neddd to call your pm doc office and get in there this week.
    spent a yr w/my dr, another yr at pm clinic. all the meds made me sick. from hallucinations to nausea. had shot in back, tried massage, diet mods, naturopath, acupuncture, etc.

had to take med leave from job and it's pretty clear i can't go back. while devastating to me at first, i am finding my stress levels are a bit down w/o all the crap that is going on at my place of employment.

i hope we can all find some relief. thank you for caring.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    spent a yr w/my dr, another yr at pm clinic. all the meds made me sick. from hallucinations to nausea. had shot in back, tried massage, diet mods, naturopath, acupuncture, etc.
    cass, have you tried ketamine? I ask because Bill Bollefen, who was bordering on suicidal because nothing helped, has discovered ketamine brings him some relief. It seems to be worth a go if you haven't tried it already.

Also, what do you mean by "a shot in the back" -- a nerve block? Since your problem with most pain meds is severe side effects, not that they don't work, a pain pump might offer you some relief. The pump delivers morphine or other narcotics directly into the spinal fluid, which all but eliminates any nasty side effects that occur when those same meds are administered by mouth, IM, IV. If you haven't already, pursuing a trial would be worth your effort and time.

I apologize for not knowing more about what you've pursued, cass. Please forgive me if I'm bringing up stuff in your BTDT (been there, done that) column. My heart breaks to hear how deeply you're suffering.

On a related note, are you getting any care/support for the depression that I hear in your posts. Obviously the best way to treat such deep depression is to get the pain problems addressed, but meds and talk therapy with a psychiatrist with a clue can provide help to get you through. I found a shrink-led program with individual counseling and group therapy plus meds for people with multiple medical issues to help. Perhaps there's something similar near you that you that you could explore.

Finally, I do agree that spending time the Pain Forum would be a good idea. The support, compassion, and smarts of the regulars there are unequaled. Give them a try, please -- worst that will happen is that you'll make some very supportive friends.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Sometimes the most difficult enemy to fight is our own flesh. You're in my thoughts and prayers, Cass. My Savior helps me, and He also provides a great doc with meds & alternatives. Have you tried accupuncture? Reflexology? I wish you well. You deserve a life of lesser physical pain. It is hard. I know. You have to fight back, even when you don't feel like fighting anymore.

Lyrica

Cass, a ps to my earlier post...
    Lyrica is awesome for me. Perhaps if you haven't tried it, you might talk with your Dr. If there is depression (and there probably should be, given the circumstances) Cymbalta helps with both pain AND depression. Please talk to your doc soon. We care for you.

Hugs,
    Margie
    Major Depressive disorder 8/2009 diagnosis (onset in 2004 and untreated until 2009)
    Spine/back/muscle disorders since birth
    Post PLIF w/hardware L4/5 1/09, but creeping northward with more degeneration and pain and loss of function :P

Great ideas. Also, a spinal cord stimulator works for some people.

Cass, you mentioned a shot in the back. If one particular nerve is causing the problem, somethings they can actually ablate (destroy) that nerve. You get an area of numbness.

There are many things that can be tried. Of course, I don't know how many you have tried already.

If there's any way I can help...

Cass,

I vouch for ketamine and it is the difference between life and suicide for me. Make sure you look at all the alternative and out of the box opportunities.

Another out there is Calcitonin form Salmon as a nasal spray. Did nothing for me but is being used successfully by some.

Good luck and if I can answer any questions re ketamine let me know.

kindly,

bill aka "the ketamine kitty"

Cass I hope you find the right med to relieve your pain.
    God bless you and I'll be praying for you. {hugs} Mona

I find too, sometimes others don;t take the pain seriously, or realize how debilitating it is, simple because of the times we manage to put such a good face on it.

Like the years you worked in pain, I am sure people you work with look at the days you were hiding in the bathroom crying in pain, as, "well, she was just fine before ...."

My pain is very erratic, and luckily for me, well controlled a lot of the time (altho at the risk of more drugs than I would like). And while obviously the controlled pain days are a blessing, I know on the other days, people think I am just malingering. The whole "why can;t you do that today, you were fine on Tuesday". "You just need to stop thinking about what hurts and get out there and do something!"

Well, they just don;t get it, and sadly, won;t every get it unless they are someday in the same boat. Which, obviously, I don;t wish on them.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

if i even mentioned my pain, i almost always heard: "you don't look like you're in pain," from co-workers, some friends, etc. it's a fact that if you aren't emoting "normal" pain (and who wants to do that in public, let alone at work), then you are fine.

yes, i believe it was a nerve block (the shot in back by pain doc). yes, cymbalta, lyrica, neurotin, etc. etc. it's not only they make me sick, they don't help pain. i consider the pump last resort. yes, been in counseling. yes, been to pain forum. my main escape is books downloaded to my ipod as i can listen all night.

i helped someone with pain article in the 90's just by answering some questions. i don't participate much in pain forum because i have nothing to add. i've been in pain 24 years come this 24 march. the difference is, it has gotten so much worse in last 2-3 yrs. and i am older, in more stress, put in too much overtime, got teen, etc. etc.

a very special somebody is sending me a letter to give to my dr. about something i haven't tried. so, we'll see where that leads.

again, thank you all. we all need some relief, not just me. i appreciate everybody's suggestions and i know others out there do, too.

Cass, what about Voltaren (gee, I think I'm spelling it right)?

I was in so much pain a few months ago that I hated & didn't want to drive. A simple 5 minutes out & I was slumped & near crying. I couldn't wait for stoplights so I could free my cramped arms & shoulders. I already took Ultram & asked my dr to try something non-narcotic(I figure I can save those for the really chronic years). So she prescribed this along w/ the Ultram. Although some days are still hellish, it's livable.

I second trying anti-depressants. The depression you have is understandable. Just remember, it will increase the pain too.I'm glad you're atleast less stressed now.