Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geron hopes to restart stem-cell study in 2010

Geron hopes to restart stem-cell study in 2010

here's the latest.

Geron hopes to restart stem-cell study in 2010
    Associated Press, 10.30.09, 01:12 PM EDT

MENLO PARK, Calif. -- Biotechnology company Geron Corp. said Friday it hopes to pave the way for restarting human studies on a potential stem-cell treatment for spinal cord injury by conducting additional preclinical studies.

Geron ( GERN - news - people ) said that following discussions with the Food and Drug Administration, it expects data from current preclinical studies to enable the company to restart human studies by the third quarter of 2010.

more...

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/...a_7068527.html

It's really amazing that Geron was brilliant enough to produce the OPC1 Cells in 7 years. Yet, they are ignorant to believe these cells will ever be allowed to be tested in patients in the United States. It will never be allowed & never is a long time. The FDA will (always) find one reason or another to effectively ban testing on these cells.

The word came down from Washington to the FDA to postpone the testing. Obama got your vote based on signing the Stem Cell initiative, then turned around and stabbed you in the back. That is how politics works. The pressure was simply to great from the religious right.

"Geron hopes to restart stem-cell study in 2010." Hope is for suckers.

I don't think Obama has anything to do with FDA postponed Geron trial.

Geron trial

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    I don't think Obama has anything to do with FDA postponed Geron trial.
    can any one tell me why they have 2 wait until 2010 can they pick up for where they left off from in Aug 09

Quote Originally Posted by chasb View Post
    It's really amazing that Geron was brilliant enough to produce the OPC1 Cells in 7 years. Yet, they are ignorant to believe these cells will ever be allowed to be tested in patients in the United States. It will never be allowed & never is a long time. The FDA will (always) find one reason or another to effectively ban testing on these cells.

The word came down from Washington to the FDA to postpone the testing. Obama got your vote based on signing the Stem Cell initiative, then turned around and stabbed you in the back. That is how politics works. The pressure was simply to great from the religious right.

Could you post the evidence you base your statements on?

Obama Administration Sued to Stop Tax-Funding of Embryonic Stem Cell Research
    by Steven Ertelt
    LifeNews.com Editor
    October 9, 2009

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- A coalition of pro-life advocates including two scientists, two families, an adoption agency and the Christian Medical Association have banded together to file a lawsuit against the Obama administration in an effort to stop the expected taxpayer funding of embryonic stem cell research.
    The suit is a response to President Barack Obama's decision earlier this year to overturn the protections the Bush administration put in place preventing funding of research that involves the destruction of human life.
    World magazine indicates the pro-life advocates have sued the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) on behalf of unborn children who would be destroyed in the research funded by the departments.
    They want to stop the expected $92 million that could be funneled from taxpayer funds to embryonic stem cell research, which has never helped human patients and has yielded significant problems in studies with animals.
    "This case raises the central question of whether Congress does or does not want to fund the destruction of human embryos," pro-life attorney Samuel Casey of Advocates International told World.
    The Alliance Defense Fund and the law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher are also helping the clients involved in the lawsuits.
    There are two suits and both make similar cases that the Obama order to force taxpayers to fund embryonic stem cell research violates the Dickey-Wicker Amendment, a federal law that prohibits federal funding of scientific studies that destroy human life.
    Specifically, the 1995 law stops tax-funding of "(1) the creation of a human embryo or embryos for research purposes; or (2) research in which a human embryo or embryos are destroyed, discarded, or knowingly subjected to risk of injury or death."
    Because President Bush's policy prohibited funding any new research destroying human life, he was able to pay for research using older embryonic stem cells.
    "[The Obama policy] encourages you to develop an embryonic stem cell line that does not exist now," Casey told World. So now we're in court to find out what Dickey-Wicker means—again."
    The lawsuit also alleges that the NIH violated administrative rules when it wrote the guidelines for implementing Obama's decision after allowing only 34 days of public comment -- instead of the customary 60 days -- and publicly admitted ignoring 30,000 of the 49,000 public comments from people who opposed the funding.
    Nightlight Christian Adoptions, which has helped facilitate adoptions of frozen embryos who are implanted and a pregnancy carried to term, is also involved in the lawsuit.

Buzz up!

Printed from: http://www.lifenews.com/bio2980.html

Copyright © 2003-2006 LifeNews.com. All rights reserved. For free daily/weekly pro-life news, email us at news@LifeNews.com.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeownp View Post
    Could you post the evidence you base your statements on?
    As you blanketed my entire post, this will be my first response on your request.

"Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torments of man."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by skeaman View Post
    can any one tell me why they have 2 wait until 2010 can they pick up for where they left off from in Aug 09
    ... because they continue playing with fire, manipulating public opinion and cheating potential investors, so that maybe FDA has just got sick of their obstructions . Seriously, until now I was their great fan, but they failed me. What they are doing, is a circus and let's hope there would be more serious companies on the market by this time. Not good example for persuading people that politics and funding are the biggest obstacles on the road to a cure, isn't?

It has nothing to do with (Obama's) politics, because Geron has used embryonic stem cell lines that were approved for federal funding under President Bush’s 2001 policy.

A quote from company's announcement:

Since Geron Corporation’s study does not use federal funds, it would not have faced any restrictions under the Bush Administration. The company has stated that the FDA approval of its study was not related to the change in the White House.

duran

Quote Originally Posted by Duran View Post
    ... because they continue playing with fire, manipulating public opinion and cheating potential investors, so that maybe FDA has just got sick of their obstructions . Seriously, until now I was their great fan, but they failed me. What they are doing, is a circus and let's hope there would be more serious companies on the market by this time. Not good example for persuading people that politics and funding are the biggest obstacles on the road to a cure, isn't?

It has nothing to do with (Obama's) politics, because Geron has used embryonic stem cell lines that were approved for federal funding under President Bush’s 2001 policy.

A quote from company's announcement:
    surely this will back fire on them if Dr wise gos ahead in January 2010 i hope that is when he is starting would there be a truth in this i can not understand this why they do this it must be to get more money if wises trials kick off and good comes out of it basically they will be FUCKED

hoping so
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature