Thread: "KCI" AIR MATTRESS BEDS

"KCI" AIR MATTRESS BEDS

dOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY FEEDBACK ON "KCI" BEDS.mY SON IS A NEWLY INJURED C5/C6 SCI PATIENT AND THE PT IS RECOMMENDING A KCI AIR MATTRESS.SINCE WE KNOW NOTHING DIFFERENT I AM LOOKING FOR ANY ADVICE FROM THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD.A MILLION THNX FOR ANY ADVICE.

There are a lot of different air mattresses that start at a couple hundred dollars and go up to seven thousand dollars or more. I took a look at the air mattress that I believe your son is getting and, from my experience, I think he will be OK with it. At C5, C6 he can probably turn himself a little bit if necessary. I spend the entire night on my back and my alternating pressure pad and pump definetly appear to be a notch lower than what you are looking at. My air mattress is made by Sunrise.

http://www.kci1.com/products/surface...lect/index.asp

PN

THNX PAUL.I REALLY APPRECIATE THE COLOR

It is rare that a low air loss bed such as the KinAir (KCI) would be needed for someone as a prevention surface. These are very expensive, and generally not funded by insurance unless the person already has a pressure ulcer. They must be hooked up to electricty to work as well. I would definitely avoid the RIK mattrress. Which one did they recommend? KCI makes many different mattresses and beds.

The KCI beds ("framed therapies") are pretty much full beds including the frame. You can also find fine low air loss (LAL) mattresses that will fit on a standard hospital bed from many other companies. This makes them less expensive and also more portable if you should move or change rooms.

If you really need LAL, look at the TxCair Plus from Triline or the Microair 3500S from Invacare.

A turning mattress may also be a good option. We used to use a lot of the Span America Turn Select products, but had some reliability problems. We are now using the Triline CairTurn RT instead.

Overlays (air, foam or gel) will not reduce pressure as much but have the advantage that you can put them on any sized bed, and also that you can usually take them along for travel much more easily.

If you are private paying, shop around on the internet for price (don't forget eBay). There is a lot of variation in the price, and often the price is jacked up for the insurance trade.

(KLD)

I chose to rent my alternating air mattress instead of owning it. If I have a problem with the pump or the air nattress, it can be returned and I am provided with a new unit. In my case it is better to rent than to own. Good luck!

2.5" Mattress Pad for APP125 and APP225
    The 2.5" heavy duty bubble style pad is part of the APP125 and APP225 System. It is an alternating pressure overlay to treat and prevent pressure ulc

Sunrise Medical

PN

I am considering buying a pressure relief mattress overlay. It looks like there are 2 to choose from. TriCair APS 250 or Sunrise Medical APP 2.5" overlay.
    Both are the same size and have pumps. Both are about $200.dollars. Any feedback or comments. I wish someone made one about 5 ft wide. Thanks

Talking air bed wonderful

My husband has been on a kinair bed for 22yrs. He has a head injury. He has never had a bed sore. You also don't have to always be turning them. I am about to buy the 3rd one. janice

I'm on a KCI tricell and have been for several months, it's working wonderful. I don't turn at night and I don't have any problems. It's a very comfortable mattress so long as it's set properly.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I'm on a KCI LAL mattress with alternating pressure. Yes, expensive -- roughly $6,000 -- and raises my electric bill, but I've had some serious pressure sores in the past and I prefer to be a little bit on the safe side.
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Does a KCI mattress wear out eventually? I have the atmosair 9000. Is there something with comparable support/protection that doesn't plug in?