Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quitting smoking

Question quitting smoking

I'm going to quit smoking after 30+ years - I've got the patches, and the welbutron is on the way from the VA in the mail - the doc said I could start with the patch & when the welbutron arrived, start it too or I could wait & start both at once. I've tried & failed at quitting numerous time, but she (the doc) said each time I try puts me closer to the time I'll make it. I'm a little nervous - I really want to quit, any suggestions besides the meds & patches?

Good for you.

I too have been a smoker for the last 37 years. It is time for me to quit too. I've tried the patches before, but the only way those things would work for me is if I put them over my mouth

There is a program at the local VA clinic that lasts for several weeks. If I choose to get medications to help me quit, I have to attend the mandatory classes.

You might check into whether or not your clinic has these type of classes. They are very good at increasing your chances of success.

My classes dont start until later this year, so at that time I will be joining you in the attempt to quit a very bad habit.

Good luck to you!
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by Coleen View Post
    I'm going to quit smoking after 30+ years - I've got the patches, and the welbutron is on the way from the VA in the mail - the doc said I could start with the patch & when the welbutron arrived, start it too or I could wait & start both at once. I've tried & failed at quitting numerous time, but she (the doc) said each time I try puts me closer to the time I'll make it. I'm a little nervous - I really want to quit, any suggestions besides the meds & patches?
    it's all mental, if you really want to quit, then quit.
    I thought i wanted to a few years back, after a few weeks I realized I like smoking, even though society treats me like scum
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I only want to say good luck. I am smoking and think it is difficult to stop. I stopped the last time I was pregnant and used a long time and smoked more and more light sigarettes and counted so I smoked less and less.

But I started again five weeks after the baby was born
    TH 12, 43 years post

It's tough for sure. I quite 5 years ago after learning that my wife was pregnant with our first child. I quit cold turkey with the occasional sneak. The patches help but you really and I mean really have to want to stop.

For me, the desire to stop was enormous - I believe in leading by example and no way did I want my son to see me smoke and think it's OK.

Good Luck!!!

If you really want to quit, then quit. You don't have to rely on meds as a crutch to cut down then quit. You can do the same thing with the smokes you have or just go cold turky.

My wife, even after having cancer, has yet to quit smoking. It's a crutch for her. Says she's quiting all the time, been through 4 different programs, several patch programs on her own. Each time to go back to it because 'something' was bothering her one way or another, stress, always some excuse.

Just do it.. quit.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

It is the same difficult to stop smoking sigarettes as to stop shooting heroin. So for those who is not really addicted, we know it is a difference like some can drink every day without beeing alcoholics and some get alcoholics even if they drink twice a week, don't say anything because I am getting terrible withdrawls with diarreah, shivering and feel terrible sick.

I can stop drinking at once, when I was young I was partying and drinking a lot but never had any trouble. I don't have any problems with morphin either, I don't have the gen for addiction. Except for nicotine.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I had an awful time quitting, found this statement most motivating:

Unless you are 100% committed to the goal of quitting smoking, then nothing can help you.

Chantix and Wellbutrin didn't agree with my system and nicotine replacement therapy (nico gum etc.) is pure torture!

All the best with it.
    Last edited by quadvet; 10-31-2009 at 08:02 AM.

maybe put post-its around places you see a lot...your bathroom mirror, car, wallet etc to remind you and encourage you to keep going.

also, if you used cigarettes as stress relief, try substituting another activity to keep your mind off it. call someone, do deep breathing, watch some youtube videos, just keep your mind off it.

Good luck, i have faith in your ability to quit!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Good luck Coleen.

I agree with those who advise the only way to go is to quit cold turkey, with no patches or gum or anything else. That's how I did it, and it really wasn't that bad after 4 or 5 days. Except for when I'd be in a bar drinking, and everyone around was smoking, that was rough, but I got over that, too.

The trick is those moments when you most enjoy a cigarette, like after a meal, or while having a cocktail, with your morning coffee, etc. I planned ahead for these moments, and had something to do to keep me occupied during those times when I craved a cigarette the most. Or I had candy or cinnamon toothpicks or wrigley's gum, anything around during those specific moments to replace the cigarette. When I had those most strongest of cravings beat, the rest was gravy. And it was only a few days until those cravings subsided.

Good luck, I wish you the best. Funny thing, I didn't smoke until Rehab after my accident, heh. I smoked for 10 years, then quit. My dad died of lung cancer, and he smoked camel no filters for 40 years, same thing I smoked. He quit 10 years before they discovered the first small tumor on his lung.

So its a crap shoot with lung cancer, whether one will get it or not, even if they've quit smoking for years...but genetics does play a part.

After awhile, you start to really enjoy the taste of food, and it's so much better. And you're able to smell cigarettes on other people, and on clothes, etc. The smell is strong, and I got a feel for how I smelled to non-smokers before I quit. I have nothing against smokers. Who knows, I might start smoking again one day, but I stress the health benefits of not smoking. Breathing is so much easier, as is healing and blood circulation - not to mention the cost savings.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!