Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: nerve pain

nerve pain

Hello Everyone, I am currently on Gabapentin for my nerve pain. It is really harsh at nite and just can't figure wait triggers nerve pain. My does is 800 mg. four times a day.
    Does anyone take more than 3200 mg a day? I have tried lyrica but that did not help me. I would like to see what everyone is taking for nerve pain and to sleep at nite. The pain wakes me up all the time.
    I appreciate everyone's input.
    Best regards,

Joe - Consider adding Elavil 25 or 50 mg at bedtime. It definately helps me with my nerve pain and has the added benefit of a side effect of sleepiness and helps me stay asleep till morning. I would also consider taking ambien to help get to sleep and stay asleep. If I lie down and the leg is 'shocking out' - I will take an ambien. I am a lightweight with drug dosing and 5 mg of ambien will knock me out.
    I do take Lyrica which helps me too. Right now 75 mg twice a day although when it was bad I took 150 three times a day.
    I also will take 5mg of oxycodone as needed for 'break through' pain.

I don't know if it helps the nerve pain but Seroquel was given to me when I was first hurt and couldn't sleep and it knocked me out. I still use it occasionally. For me Ambien didn't work at all. Then the Dr. gave me benadryl. I was like I don't have allergies I just want to sleep. It didn't work either.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I did try accupuncture. It did not work . I am a T-10 complete with no motor nureons at all. My pain is strong in the groin area. Has anyone tried the SCI electrical stimulation implants? Thanks again for everyone's help.

Joe-
    I was on Amitriptyline for awhile and it helped me where it seems you need some help. It is usually prescribed for depression but is also known to help chronic pain, nerve pain, and insomnia. Initially, I was on 50mg about an hour before I went to bed. It would knock me out as soon as I put my head down, and I'd be out for over 8 hours, and if an alarm or something wakes you up before the Amitriptyline wants you to wake up, you'll be incredibly groggy. Only after a week of 50mg, I started only taking 25mg and it still did the job, and I was only a little groggy in the morning, but after awhile I stopped taking it all together because I really started to hate the groggy feeling in the morning. I was also on 600mg Gabapentin 3 times a day, and 20mg oxycontin 2 times a day, and I would rarely take 4mg Dilauded (Hydromorphone) for breakthrough pain. The combo didn't give me exactly what I was looking for as far as pain relief goes, but it definitely helped. I still take one every once and awhile, when I need to catch up on sleep from the previous night, or if I want to sleep in the next day - all in all, it's a great sleep aid, and it may help with a few other things.

Hope this helps.

Hey Dylan - I agree about the morning foggy/grogginess from Elavil. I had it too. So what I did was try to take it earlier in the night. Instead of taking it at 10:30 pm , I took it at 8 pm and that helped me not be as groggy in the am.

I take a combo of Gabapentin 300mg three times daily plus Amitriptyline 20mg at night. I also get worse nerve pain in bed at night, or maybe you just notice it more when there are no distractions. Mine is also more intense burning in my groin and butt areas.

I take gabapentin 900mg 3 times a day & trazodone 200mg at bedtime with a flexeril (10mg) & sleep fair - if I take a vicodin (like I'm supposed to) with the flexeril, it helps - I can still wake to my kids, but sleep with tolerable 'stinging'.

Do you spasm when you lay down?I think that's what aggrivates my nerve pain so bad at night.Plus I think the heavy blankets get it going too.

As far as sleep,I've tried evey sleep drug with no help.I was given some anti-anxieties too..no help.I finally got a months worth of sleep but now the cat & I stay up all night.He now knows that's when I have the most time to pay attention to him,lol.

My question,is how do the other people get the heavier pain meds & anti-anxiety pills?My dr(s) look @ my like I'm a drug pheen when I mention things to help me.My physiatrist only wants my pcp to write scripts & see me for that.I guess ity's tiome for pain management

.....good luck Joe!

For large doses of pain medicines, I think generally the pain docs are the ones to prescribe.