Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My PCA wants a pay raise

A good PCA should be able to do a bowel program. I never paid 35.00 per hour for a bowel program in my 38 years as a quad.

Blog Entries

Angry Pca pay raise?

When my pca asks for a raise I know it's time to beat them harder. Such nonsense!

She wanted $20. Think I'll offer $18, with cleaning in the downtime.

"A good PCA should be able to do a bowel program. I never paid 35.00 per hour for a bowel program in my 38 years as a quad. "

try calling an agency, describing what you need and see the bill.

a good PCA may/can do a competent bowel routine, but that is not the "legal" scope of their duties and should you be forced to hire thru an agency, it will approach that rate in most areas

that is why, unfortunately, most of us who do not qualify for aide assis $$ and who private pay, have PCA's do the BR.

Be open, communicate, especially with restrictions, expectations etc.

The more you can let her in with understanding the situation and to be a part of negotiations, the happier she'll be,
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    She wanted $20. Think I'll offer $18, with cleaning in the downtime.
    Uncle P: My thinking is... a raise after 6 month is too soon. Generally, raises are given each year not only after 6 month. I generally have a list of things for the PCA to do while I'm busy in the bathroom. (you should not need to pay extra for that) My fear for you is... if she asks you to give her a raise after such short time and you give it to her, what prevents her from asking again for another in 6 month?

Try Crag's list or kijiji and see if you get anyone interested in working for you. During the interview, tell then when there will be a raise. Personally, I do bonuses for my PCAs cuz it's a really good positive reinforcement and shows that they are doing a good job. Plus, you pay a bonus when you can and not obligated to give an increases at set times.

Remember: It's your show, your money, your care... you are the driver.

Good Luck.
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

If she were hot, Jake, I would have given her a raise without consulting CC members first.

wow two bucks and hour! most peeps get a 25 or thirty cent an hour increase. I live on the east coast, and most here make around ten an hour, twelve for weekends. I had to pay taxes on that too. gosh id have loved to have you as my boss at fifteen an hour under the table. and i would not even think of asking a two dollar an hour increase. fifty cents and hour pay increase is pleanty to show you like her work. if that is a problem she is greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    "A good PCA should be able to do a bowel program. I never paid 35.00 per hour for a bowel program in my 38 years as a quad. "

try calling an agency, describing what you need and see the bill.

a good PCA may/can do a competent bowel routine, but that is not the "legal" scope of their duties and should you be forced to hire thru an agency, it will approach that rate in most areas

that is why, unfortunately, most of us who do not qualify for aide assis $$ and who private pay, have PCA's do the BR.
    I don't need to call an agency. Been there done that. I agree. Yes agencies have restrictions mostly due to liability issues.
    I do not have private money to pay either.
    When you give information just give correct information.
    I am on program called the CLASS program Hopefully it will be expanded to most states in the near future.
    It is not illegal for my PCA to do bowel care on some programs.
    Enlighten yourself and learn.

You can read it right here

http://www.dads.state.tx.us/forms/1733/1733.doc

If you pay someone privately then there should be not problem at all. That is between you and your PCA.
    This thread is about paying a PCA but knowing what your PCA is can and can not do is important too. Many of them will try to tell you it is not their job just so they do not have to do it.
    I have a budget and I can elect to give my PCA's bonuses within reason.
    Since you are private pay you call the shots with your PCA. I would just keep in mind that the budget needs to last.
    I have had much experience and there is always something to learn along the way.
    My help gets 10.00 per hour and I rate them very highly. They know I would pay more if possible. Due to an .80 per hour increase by the state I will be able to increase this to 11.00 per hour.

Thanks

David
    Last edited by reedyd; 11-05-2009 at 06:35 PM.