Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Layover of 1 hour enough time in newark?

  1. #1

    Layover of 1 hour enough time in newark?

    So this is going to be my first plane trip in a chair. In rehab they took us to the airport and actually let us board the plane with an isle chair, while an airline rep told us about how they deal with people in chairs. So I am not very concerned about getting on or off the plane, or what happens to my chair.

    What I am concerned about it whether or not I have enough time to get from one plane (disembarking last) to another plane (getting on first) in 1:05 layover in Newark. It seems like not very much time to me. I can move plenty fast in my chair, but I just dont know how long it will take me to get on/off and have them get my chair. Any advice from anyone? Do you think that it is enough time?

    I suppose if all else fails I could have my AB friend rush to the next plane and cause a commotion so they dont leave without me... lol

  2. #2
    We try to never have less than 90 minutes between flights. Remember that you will be the last person off the first flight, and may have to wait a while even then for the aisle chair and anyone to assist you transferring to it from your seat. Then you need to get to the next gate in time to talk to the agent, get your seat changed (often needed) to an accessible one (with a swing up arm) as this if often done wrong when ticketing, and you need to be there in time to pre-board. If you also need to cath or go to the toilet between flights, that will add to the time as well. Even if you get an escort to the next gate, an hour can be tight except in the very smallest airports.

    (KLD)

  3. #3
    Senior Member wheeliecoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East Haven, CT
    Posts
    2,600
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    So this is going to be my first plane trip in a chair. In rehab they took us to the airport and actually let us board the plane with an isle chair, while an airline rep told us about how they deal with people in chairs. So I am not very concerned about getting on or off the plane, or what happens to my chair.

    What I am concerned about it whether or not I have enough time to get from one plane (disembarking last) to another plane (getting on first) in 1:05 layover in Newark. It seems like not very much time to me. I can move plenty fast in my chair, but I just dont know how long it will take me to get on/off and have them get my chair. Any advice from anyone? Do you think that it is enough time?

    I suppose if all else fails I could have my AB friend rush to the next plane and cause a commotion so they dont leave without me... lol
    In my experience...definitely NOT enough time. It takes too long to get us off (and sometimes they have to wait for the aisle chair or someone who is trained), and by the time you are up and off the plane...you have been there at least 15-20 minutes since the others have left. Also..Newark is a big airport. You would have problems with getting from the one gate to another.

    My husband and I have flown often...and seeing how we are both in chairs...we make sure we have at least 2 hours in between flights.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

  4. #4
    I had a 45min layover once... barely enough time to get off one plane, run to the bathroom, and rush to make it at the tail end of preboarding for the next flight.

    Additionally, it's a gamble if the flights don't stay on schedule.

    It's do-able but not ideal.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    So this is going to be my first plane trip in a chair. In rehab they took us to the airport and actually let us board the plane with an isle chair, while an airline rep told us about how they deal with people in chairs. So I am not very concerned about getting on or off the plane, or what happens to my chair.

    What I am concerned about it whether or not I have enough time to get from one plane (disembarking last) to another plane (getting on first) in 1:05 layover in Newark. It seems like not very much time to me. I can move plenty fast in my chair, but I just dont know how long it will take me to get on/off and have them get my chair. Any advice from anyone? Do you think that it is enough time?

    I suppose if all else fails I could have my AB friend rush to the next plane and cause a commotion so they dont leave without me... lol
    It can be done and if you are flying with the same airline they will call and tell them you are on the flight, and they will get you on last it is a pain but I have done it sometimes you get lucky and you only have to go down a few gates. When you check in for your first flight get your seats for both flights. Make sure your let them know as well as the flight attendants when you board the plane that you have another flight to catch with only 65 minutes in between and they will work with you. Good Luck.
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rcechser View Post
    It can be done and if you are flying with the same airline they will call and tell them you are on the flight, and they will get you on last it is a pain but I have done it sometimes you get lucky and you only have to go down a few gates. When you check in for your first flight get your seats for both flights. Make sure your let them know as well as the flight attendants when you board the plane that you have another flight to catch with only 65 minutes in between and they will work with you. Good Luck.

    Is this true? In my experience, airlines really dont give a shit. They already have your money.

    If I am running late, and they have to put me on last, I really dont care, as long as I get where I am going. Cathing would be nice, but I could strap on a leg bag, before getting on the first plane and just not worry about it.

    I already have the reservations (my friend made them), so I will call the airline today and see what they say.

  7. #7
    I had a connection at Newark, and it was tight. We had to change terminals, and that involved 2 flights of stairs (with no elevator), getting on a bus (no wheelchair lift), and then 2 flights of stairs up at the other terminal. Not possible.

    I was told to go out of the terminal, take the train, then re-enter through Security again. And since my connection was almost redy to bord, this was not possible.

    They re-booked me on another flight to a different airport. We got a rental car and drove to our destination. The bags did not join me until the next day.

    Being without bags as an SCI is not cool. No BP that next morning.

    You need more than 60 mins at Newark.

  8. #8
    funklab,
    You can either listen to what everyone is saying or not.

    What day of the week is the first plane landing (1:00 PM can be busy)? Even if by some miracle, you make it to the second flight will any checked baggage make it? If you get to the second flight late, they just might have time to throw your chair into the storage compartment before locking down.

    If there's no choice, not having to switch airlines or terminals, your AB friend (if he's a real advocate), and carry-on luggage could save the day. What level is your injury and do you use a manual chair?
    Good luck,
    Carl

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    1,066
    We had a one hr. lay over in Newark. It was a BITCH! We barely made it and that's with someone pushing my son very fast and the rest of us running! We had connecting flights with the same airlines in the same terminal and we barely made it! We were the last to be boarded instead of first. Therefore, overhead space was very limited! Good luck!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    I had a connection at Newark, and it was tight. We had to change terminals, and that involved 2 flights of stairs (with no elevator), getting on a bus (no wheelchair lift), and then 2 flights of stairs up at the other terminal. Not possible.

    You need more than 60 mins at Newark.
    Wow that is crazy, what kind of an airport makes you go outside to change terminals, much less has no elevators???
    Was this recently or a long time ago?




    Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    funklab,
    You can either listen to what everyone is saying or not.

    What day of the week is the first plane landing (1:00 PM can be busy)?
    around 5pm on a tuesday

    Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Even if by some miracle, you make it to the second flight will any checked baggage make it?
    If there's no choice, not having to switch airlines or terminals, your AB friend (if he's a real advocate), and carry-on luggage could save the day. What level is your injury and do you use a manual chair?
    Good luck,
    Carl
    Checked baggage should make it regardless of whether or not I do, shouldnt it?

    I can just have my AB friends pick it up if I dont make it for some reason.

    T6 manual. I figure I can make 7-8 mph in a level airport, and maybe 12+ if they have a people mover. I can move as fast as any AB on the level.




    When I call the airline, will they know ahead of time what terminal which plane is going to be at, or is that a last minute thing that the airport decides based on which planes are on time, etc?

Similar Threads

  1. 24 Hour Fitness
    By exqusit1 in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
  2. Darkest Hour...
    By Juke_spin in forum Life
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 12:30 PM
  3. is an 8 hour foley ok?
    By BigDave in forum Care
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 01:13 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 11:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •