Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why do my hips feel crooked?

Banned
    some of the info is overwhelming, but i think the best thing to do is get my seating looked at and also an xray. im scared of chiropractors so that's a choice i will not be choosing. thanks for this.

try a physio with orthopedic training. I find they can do the same as chiros but much gentler. plus they have a little more in their toolbox for other treatments.

I used to need my S-I joints adjusted once in a while because one side would get stuck and make my pelvis asymmetrical.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I'd be hella nervous to let a chiropractor do a shift like that? Then again, my doctor in Toronto told me to start focusing on calcium at age 37 after more than 20yrs of paralysis because I didn't want to be rolling over in bed and break a hip bone.

That comment scared the hell out of me.
    It's a very simple adjustment & it's not violent. You'd be surprised. When my pelvis/SI gets adjusted, I typically lie prone on a table with a few sections that move up/down. One is around the pelvic area. The doc will raise it (it's subtle, maybe 2" or so) & apply pressure in a specific spot. The section of the table drops & gravity assists.

Caveat: there are indeed some crackhead chiros out there, so I've drilled each one I've seen with questions prior to any treatments. The good ones understand the nervous system & will explain everything to you clearly and w/o hesitation.

I haven't spent much time searching (grad school is demanding my time), but this was the first hit on YouTube & explains the/a process of how the alignment is evaluated:

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Scott,I've been wondering & wanting to see one.So,do you get them to adjust your neck area too?I bet that feels like heaven.
    Yeah, I have them work on my neck. I have C5-7 fused & they don't touch it b/c they know they can't do jack with it. The adjustments are very targeted. Most times either the Atlas or the Axis (C1, C2) are what I need tweaked, primarily due to twisting my head when I sleep prone. It feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeownp View Post
    R U people for real with your armchair DX'S?
    Get a freaking x-ray...Duh.
    You're the one who copy/pasted the book on HO, so don't scold about armchair DXs. Sitting crooked isn't rocket science though & getting straightened out is a logical first step. BTW, I got a freaking x-ray prior to seeing a new chiropractor after I moved to NC. My chiro back home required periodic spine scans as well.

R U people for real with your armchair DX'S?
    Get a freaking x-ray...Duh.
    been there,done that.thanks

[partial QUOTE=Scott Pruett;1113806]
    You're the one who copy/pasted the book on HO, so don't scold about armchair DXs. Sitting crooked isn't rocket science though & getting straightened out is a logical first step. BTW, I got a freaking x-ray prior to seeing a new chiropractor after I moved to NC. My chiro back home required periodic spine scans as well.[/QUOTE]

The logical first step is an X-Ray. I posted the article as information not a diagnosis. I'm happy for you and your periodic Chiropractors.
    Oh BTW, your right sitting crooked isn't rocket science it's medical science. Are you in grad school for diplomacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Isa83 View Post
    i feel uncomfortable sitting all the time. it feels like my hips are crooked. why?
    Is one hip sinking lower into your cushion making you lean to that side? My right hip did until I had a small gel pad put under it. Until you get an appoinment try a towel or something under the sinking hip to see if it straightens you up. and keep an eye on your skin I had to adjust the position.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 10-28-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Caveat: there are indeed some crackhead chiros out there, so I've drilled each one I've seen with questions prior to any treatments. The good ones understand the nervous system & will explain everything to you clearly and w/o hesitation.
    What kind of things do you ask them? Spinal cord injury things or in general?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

The logical first step is an X-Ray. I posted the article as information not a diagnosis. I'm happy for you and your periodic Chiropractors.
    Oh BTW, your right sitting crooked isn't rocket science it's medical science. Are you in grad school for diplomacy?
    1) you can't get an xray w/o a doctor's order, so you start w/ a doc.
    2) who is going to read the xray to decide what to do? a doc.

my local chiro (a doc) has xray equipment in his office.

as for your other comments... chill out.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    What kind of things do you ask them? Spinal cord injury things or in general?
    It depends on what I go in for. I don't go on a regular maintenance basis. I ask a lot of "why?" questions. Some are SCI-related if relevant.

Example: I experienced a crazy amount of sweating at night several months ago. I went to my chiro doc after researching the problem w/ other doctors who simply wanted to push meds on me. Turns out either C2 or C3 was rotated (I don't recall which), which triggered a neuro response due to pressure on a nerve. I pushed a lot of questions on him to explain it. Lo & behold, that solved the problem, no meds involved.

Scott,have you noticed a decrease in nerve pain & or spasms too?

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Scott,have you noticed a decrease in nerve pain & or spasms too?
    pain: not really, but my pain isn't neuro. theoretically chiropractic care *could* help as it assists in optimizing the health of the nervous system.

spasms: nah. sometimes if the spasticity is amplified more than "normal" then there may be something triggering it that an adjustment can assist with, but otherwise I haven't noticed anything dramatic. Massages on the other hand...