Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW HARD DRIVE HELP!!!!!

NEW HARD DRIVE HELP!!!!!

I bought a new 80 gb Maxtor hard drive. I have a Maxtor in the system so I figured it should be easy. I have set it up as master and slave. I get nothing from it. I downloaded both powermax and SCSImax from Maxtor, still nothing!
    My computer will not recognize the HD any way I put it in. I reset the bios and tried to get it to "Auto-Detect"....nothing. HELP!!!

New hard drives can be a pain. Are you replacing your existing drive or adding the new one as a secondary/slave?

-Steven

I am replcing the existing. I dont care about the info on this one. I have the disks for everthing.

I am replacing. I have disks for everthing so there is no need to transfer data.

Did you partition and format the new drive?
    From the mfr and size it appears to be an IDE drive so SCSI utilities won't be of any help.

"Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created
    them."

Do you mean the BIOS doesn't even recognize it?

If so, set the drive as master, make sure the IDE cables are in their proper places, and go from there. Let us know what happens...

-Steven

Do you hear the new drive spin up when the power is turned on?

I will assume you are dealing with ide drives.

Are both drives on the same ide cable?

Are you trying to put one of these drives on the same cable as a cd, dvd, zip,... drive? These also have to be set as masters or slaves.

Have you tried setting the drive as a master and removing the old one from the computer?

Rember:
    ribbon cable 1:
    primary master, primary slave
    ribbon cable 2:
    secondary master, secondary slave

-Scott

Keep the sugestions coming, I have tried all that!

Does BIOS recognize the drive or do you get an "Operating System Not Found" error?

-Steven

Check the IDE cable where it connects to the motherboard. I've accidentally pulled it out enough that it wouldn't work, even though looking at it it looked like it was connected.

Also, some drives have a jumper setting for "single drive only." If it's a stand alone drive, check the manual to see if it has a single drive jumper setting.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.