Thread: peripheral Neuropathy - Dr. Wise Please respond

peripheral Neuropathy - Dr. Wise Please respond

Ok..we had a MRI of Brain and Spine and it didn't show any reason why my son would be showing injuries of his sacral area. I have not talked with his neurologist, but the doctor doing his urodynamics said that it reminded him of diabetic neuropathy. We are just looking for answers on what we should be doing for him, what to expect, etc.. He is almost a year post now.. He can run some, but not normal. He has urine retention, His urodynamics show that he does not have reflux, he also had feeling when his bladder was full. He has no lower extremity reflexes. He has slight loss of feeling on his right thigh and butt but no loss of sensation anywhere else. He had foot drop of his right leg, his anterior tibialis would not fire at all and now it does. He has almost as much muscle on that leg too. He was doing a lot better with everything before school started and now I'm noticing more weakness. He is in physical therapy one day a week because it is an hour a way and hard with school. I am going to try to get him into swim lessons again because that seemed to help a lot. I guess what I am asking in your opinion do you think he will recover anymore? Also, do you have any other ideas on how we can help him? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by sml79 View Post
    Ok..we had a MRI of Brain and Spine and it didn't show any reason why my son would be showing injuries of his sacral area. I have not talked with his neurologist, but the doctor doing his urodynamics said that it reminded him of diabetic neuropathy. We are just looking for answers on what we should be doing for him, what to expect, etc.. He is almost a year post now.. He can run some, but not normal. He has urine retention, His urodynamics show that he does not have reflux, he also had feeling when his bladder was full. He has no lower extremity reflexes. He has slight loss of feeling on his right thigh and butt but no loss of sensation anywhere else. He had foot drop of his right leg, his anterior tibialis would not fire at all and now it does. He has almost as much muscle on that leg too. He was doing a lot better with everything before school started and now I'm noticing more weakness. He is in physical therapy one day a week because it is an hour a way and hard with school. I am going to try to get him into swim lessons again because that seemed to help a lot. I guess what I am asking in your opinion do you think he will recover anymore? Also, do you have any other ideas on how we can help him? Thank you
    sml, I am not sure. From what you have described to date, he has had a stroke that caused left sided weakness. He has bladder problems which may imply compromise of his sacral spinal roots or spinal cord. So, he may have both upper and lower motoneural deficits. It is indeed worrisome that he seems to be falling back a little. I wish that I knew what to recommend. I probably feel like his doctor. Wise.

Thank you for responding. We are concerned about him going backwards some. I'm thinking it has to do with being in school and not as much PT. Thanks for the response. It is hard because his injuries are so complex and know one can really explain it to us. I was able to find a lot of info off of here from you. Thank you again!